Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My injection pump just failed because, the dealer says, water in the fuel. The diesel supplement manual with the truck says that the float switch in the filter/separator should activate a light in the message center. I have had problems with the truck before and found a little water in the filter, but the light has never come on. Has anyone ever seen this light? My bill so far is $2300, if the injectors don't need replacing and GM won't pay. I saw alot of posts on other forums today with the same problem- one guy with a bill over $7400. Seems like if water is so detrimental to the pump, they should have a better system to protect it and when it fails, should be their problem. Water will inevitably get in your tank. They say to sue the gas station, but if you buy fuel from a few different stations, how can you prove which one gave you the water?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Sssssshhhhhhhh....

GM's dirty little secret. The fuel is about 1/4th as clean as it needs to be. The filter is not able to handle water. The manual tells you not to run additives.

But as any good diesel mechanic knows, you have to run a high quality additive. And because the filter is filtering 20% to 10 microns you WILL have a problem with your injectors.

I would say if your pump was rusty and destroyed by water that your injectors are not far behind. When they fix the pump sell the truck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
problemchild, fix the pump, then sell the truck??? If the truck is fixed, then why sell it?

I see the same problem with trading a truck in when it is near 100K. If you trade it in and take a bath, (which you will) you will lose more than the cost of new injectors. (I suppose). It would be interesting to do a cost analysis on this. We'll have to wait until the first 01's go out of warranty in 05 and see what used prices are, to see if this theory holds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jack,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully it can be resolved with out to much more associated cost, but I would agree with PC if your pump was destroyed due to "water", (was rusting mentioned?) that the injectors must be in rough shape and on there way out also. I also question the ability of the WIF indicator. I personally feel if the WIF indicator has gone off it would be certain that water has passed beyond the filter and through the system, and just how much and for how long are the next questions.

How many miles on your truck? Did you frequently use the same stations for feuling in your area?

Were you using any fuel additives to prevent water and corrosion in your fuel injection system? What type/ types if any? Just wondering, not trying to be smart.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Jack,

Take the little part in your service manual and reprint and enlarge. Take this to the dealer and explain that the manual eludes to the fact water is not to be a concern due to the built in GM safety features. Also point out the fact that it states no additive is required. With that in mind let them know GM had you covered and GM let you down. If they do not respond I would get a legal eagle involved. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Jack,

If you want to take it one step further you can get into the fact that there is a TSB that mandates a demulsifying type of additive. This type of additive will cause the fuel to drop like a rock. With no tank drain available then what the heck are you suppose to do with all of the water at the bottom of the tank? It has no choice but to build untill it gets lifted by the pick up tube. Then what? Hope like heck the Racor water seperator stops the water, otherwise you are sending pure water slugs to your engine. I can't belive they gave us a tank with no drain, no abialty to install one and mandate a demulsifying additive with a faulty water seaparator. GM, I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS! YOU HAVE PUT US IN A DILEMA? PLEASE GET YOUR sh*t STRAIGHT!Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. Did not think you were being smart at all. It has 26k miles. I have been using an additive. Can't remember the name brand. The bottle is in my truck at the dealer. It is available at the 2 big truck stops by my work. I get fuel from one of the truck stops or another station beside them- they are all VERY busy. I use the stuff because we own a heavy duty truck salvage and repair business. I am the lead engine mechanic. Often when a truck comes in with a little miss that we suspect to be an injector and they don't want to spend the money to replace it, they will run a bottle of this through and I have seen it help. We also have soaked injectors in it for a few days and it has helped them. We also see alot of trucks with water in the fuel- just makes them run bad. We replace the filters, drain the water from the tanks through the DRAIN PLUG, and the problem is fixed. The big diesels have injector tubes pressed in the head. Water goes around them to cool the injector. When the tube starts leaking, it will let coolant go straight in the fuel return line and into the tank. It does hurt the injectors in the long run, but not like this- but then they don't run a Bosch pump. Thanks again for all the help. If I don't get satisfaction, I will be getting a lawyer. I may even consider starting a class action law suit- I think there are alot of people that feel GM is screwing them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts