Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An ongoing problem since I posted a few weeks ago.

Briefly, the light went on so I drained the filter. Still went on. Took the truck to GMC in Mesa, Az for recall filter and tailgate straps. Light off for 60 miles or so and then on again. Drained new filter and took it the GMC Dealer in Casa Grande. Told them to drain the tank and find out why Service Engine light had come on twice. They said they could not get the light to come on???. Couldn't find any codes stored either. Said they saw no water in the fuel they drained. They charged me $244.00 for diagnosing, but never found any problems and mentioned how difficult it is to diagnose a problem. When I picked up the truck it had diesel fuel mixed with dust, all over both rear fenders. How the got diesel on Both Sides while pumping the tank I'll never know. Manager said "Duh I don't know". Water in Fuel light stayed off for 250 miles and came on again today. :eek:
Forgot the mention that the truck runs great thoughout it all.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
We had this same problem recently on our 03. We gave up on fixing it and last month the alternator went out. We disconnected the batteries for about 45 minutes to change it and No more water in fuel. We have put about 4000 miles on it since. Hopefully that will help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick,
That's worth a try.

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same problem. My "water in fuel" light comes on intermittently about every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it dosen't come on for 5 minutes. Then others, it comes on very 5 seconds. Let us know if disconnecting the batteries fixes it!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I disconnected the batteries for a couple hours and drained the Filter AGAIN (No Water Visible). Thought I had it licked as the light didn't come on as I let it idle for 5 min. However the next time I started it that dammed light came on. As soon as I can find my black electrical tape it's going to get covered upm at least till I finsh my trip.

Also found out the GM mechanic somehow screwed up the threads on the nylon bleeder. Before I took it in I could easily turn it in and out. Now it's very difficult to turn either way.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
oldwolf
Just incase....the water in fuel sensor is a float switch screwed into the base of the fuel filter. Have you pulled it out, cleaned and checked for proper operation.
Not sure if the it's a NO or a NC switch but a better way to bypass it would be to just unplug it or unplug it and insert a jumper. IMHO
Covering the SES light could cause you to miss another problem that may spring up....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I haven't Checked the switch. Wasn't sure how to remove it? Is is where the bleeder is screwed into?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
It the sensor you move to the new filter when you change it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I hadn't changed a filter myself. Dumb question. I just read the fuel filter change tutorial and it's clear where the sensor is and how to remove it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts