Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had theirs come on. Just wondering if they work or if it is a (make you feel safe gimmick).

Thx
Bruce

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mines never come on....although I have seen rusty water in the plastic part.....I think unless you have a quart of water in the fuel it doesn't do much.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine comes on when it is about 20 below outside. I took it in to the dealer they couldn't find any water in the filter after they warmed it up. I did read in one of these forums where someone had to replace an injector pump, and it wasn't covered under warranty because it had pumped water. So at least on that one it must not of worked.Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Mine came on for the first time today. 18k miles, 79 degrees out.

The fuel came from a fresh delivery to my home tank 2 days ago. Guess I am going to have to treat that fuel.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
andrewfessler said:
Mine came on for the first time today. 18k miles, 79 degrees out.

18K on the fuel filter also?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I replaced the filter at ~13k. I have a spare filter, although I don;t know if I want to replace it this soon.

I am going to drain the filter (after i figure out how) tonight when I get home.

The fuel I just got delievered (280 gallons) came from my regular supplier who also supplies local famers and the like. Yes, it is taxed fuel :) My home tank does have a filter, but it is nothing fancy. I am considering on putting in a high quality filter on that tank.

I do not run any additives, although occasionally I will add an additive to my storage tank if I don't burn through much fuel. I am now considering on using an emulsifier on a regular basis.Edited by: andrewfessler

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If it works anything like the WIF sensor in my Racor kit, you've got to have a puddle of water in the bottom of the filter to complete the electrical circuit between two contacts in order for it to come on.

The only time I've seen it is when I shorted the two contacts in the Racor on installation as a test to verify that it worked. On the Racor bowl, you'd need about 1/2 inch of water in it to actuate the sensor.

Since these filters are designed to trap water in the element, if you get a WIF indication, you've got a bunch of water. I think I'd be changing filters ASAP and consider draining the rest of the fuel...

I remember seeing the post about a voided warranty due to water contamination damaging the fuel pump.

The distributor that sold the fuel to you ought to be footing the bill for it as well, if that's where you picked up the water.

edit info:

I just saw your last post. You'll find lots of discussion here about emulsifiers or de-emulsifiers, but GM will void your warranty if they find out you used an emulsifier as they are not approved for the Dmax...Edited by: Zeeb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts