Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I bought the perma cool water fuel separator from Summit.

Non site sponsor vendor link removed

I was speaking with a guy from Heath who recommends putting it after the lift pump. There would be a loss of pressure if you mount it before the lift pump. After the LP keeps better pressure since the LP pump is better at pushing than pulling. I know some here put it before the LP to protect the lift pump. Filtration and fuel pressure is more important than the LP. The LP is a relatively small dollar item compared with the rest of the system.
Thoughts? Mount location?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The oem fuel management cannister on your engine handles that service rather well.

Most add-on units are done pre lift pump to protect the entire active fuel system - gravity aids the lift pump from the tank - gravity hinders the lift pump to the oem filter, high up on the engine intake manifold.

The '93 lift pumps were more powerful than the EFI versions, and several vendors carry the upgraded version, including Bill.

They are required for the hot-chip upgrades.

Ask your doctor to see if the upgrades are suitable for you
Warning: may cause hot flashes and bouts of sudden exhiliaration with uncontrollable urge to grin, accompanied by urges to seek further upgrades, all resulting in lower fuel economy.

gmctd, aka jd, LLC

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
I installed a secondary 2 micron filter setup inbetween the oem filter and the IP. I simply removed the fuel line from the outlet of the fuel filter housing and replaced it with new hose routed to my new filter head inlet. Then routed another new hose from the outlet of the head to the inlet of the IP. Lastly I primed the new filter with some Power Service. So far the truck has run great.

My secondary filter head is mounted on the driver side of the fan shroud. The filter that I used is the same that the Dmax guys use on the Nicktane system, but I didnt like the thought of having a filter sitting on my frame rail ingesting cold air during the winter. To date, it has been a low of -12 here with wind chill of - 25, and the truck has started every time.

Install was under $60 and running within an hour and a half. If you want a list of parts, I can get them for you, all parts were available at NAPA.

Tony

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Crud from the tank is what causes early death of lift pumps IMO, which is why mine is before the lift pump,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts