Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that i have water contamination, the light on the dash never came on and i don't recall it ever coming on during start up, so probably the light is dead or the sensor. But i'm looking for advice on how to clean the tank, lines, filter housing, return lines. Is there a product you put in to clean out, or just blow them out with air. Also i have two codes a P0251 and a P0370 and the book says that those 2 codes will set if the vehicle has run out of fuel. So i'm guessing either obstruction/clog or water. But both of those codes by them self are both pointing toward the Optical/fuel temp sensor. Can this be preplaced or tested. Also if water contamination is what i have can you tell when water is mixed with fuel. What are some things that should be replaced.

Truck runs fine for 20-30 minutes then will start to stumble, and die. Loss of power and rough idle occasionly.
'96 chevy 3500 dually TD
IP has about 5000 miles on it
New filter
new lift pump
Marine injectors
'97 cooling upgrade
3" exhaust turbo back
Lives in Bay area of CA with temps running from 30-60F this time of year
Problem started when we would take it up to the mountains 20-40F so we thought it was a gelling problem so we have been using anti-gell

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Water will cause some serious damage.

How much water is a factor in what to do about it.

Flush the lines and return lines with fresh diesel.

Don't run the engine anymore.

Run the lift pump by hot wiring it and open the t-valve and catch the fuel in a container you can see the fuel in. Check it for water.

If there is lots of water you might as well drop the tank.

Clean and dry tank and add diesel with diesel fuel additive like stanadyne, howes, ppf, or other non alcohol additive for diesel fuel water removal and some 2 cycle oil.

Clean out the filter manager and run the lift pump again with the valve open until it's flushed out and good fuel is flowing.

Change the fuel filter.

Check or replace the fuel cap with a diesel fuel cap.

Clear the codes.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Frozen water can clog the filter as efficiently as gelled fuel - you'll need a Diesel-fuel specific water-management additive, Stanadyne, Power Service, Lucas, etc

Flush the filter cannister, add fresh fuel with additive and new filter.

Would be best to drop the tank, flush and clean, flush the fuel pipes, pull and clean the fuel management cannister, start with fresh fuel with additives to suit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help....

Hey guys thank you for you help. Truck works great. Haven't had any problems yet. Looking into a new PMD with the heat sink to keep from having trouble down the road.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts