Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Does Anyone Have Any Information On How To Hook A Switch Up To Your Wastegate? Someone On Here Mentioned That So You Can Open It Up And Therefor Dump A **** Ton Of Smoke Which Sounds Like It Could Be Fun.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fun as in raising your egts and melting ****..... what your talking about is a 10k potentiometer wired in on the iat sensor that way you can fool it into thinking the boost is too high and the wg wont close, or the boost is too low and the wg stays shut.... as long as you have the gauges to do this with go ahead but dont come complaining about it if you tear something up....

·
Registered
478 Posts
It was me that met a guy with one. He had a solenoid with one input and two outputs and a momentary switch. when he held the switch the vacuum was diverted from the waist gate to vent and the gate would open and stop the boost. As soon as he let go it would go back to normal operation.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh ok I see..... I would just do the boost fooler that way you can go to higher boost and lower boost when you want.... as long as you have a good vac system....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok now by doing it with a solinoid like he did could you mess anything up or melt something cause as much fun as it would be i kinda like having a good running truck. do you know where i might be able to get some more detailed instruction too?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Messing around with electronics may get you in trouble if you mess around with the solenoid. The ECM I think on an OBD-II system will measure load on the solenoid circuit, so if you booger around with it, it may set a code.

Respect your engine. If you are looking for the "resistor" setup, check out "boost fooler" with a search. Know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE doing it, no crying after you break it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i have a boost idea but i won't share it till i try it myself that way i know it works, the only info i will say it has something to do with the holset 35x some elctronics and well spare time and a wild imagination.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Poor man's boost fooler:

Put a "T" in the vacuum line before the wastegate solenoid.
Put a "T" in the vacuum line after the wastegate in line going to wastegate controller.
Run new Vac line from first "T" into the cabin.
Hook Vac line in cabin to a valve (pick one).
Run Vac line from other side of valve back into engine compartment.
Hook Vac line coming from valve in cabin to "T" going to wastegate controller.
Keep valve in cabin closed for normal operation.
Proceed to explode engine by opening valve and holding wastegate wide open.

*All technical data in this article are without warranty and are to be used at your own risk...and yes...it is risk.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Ok Does Anyone Have Any Information On How To Hook A Switch Up To Your Wastegate? Someone On Here Mentioned That So You Can Open It Up And Therefor Dump A **** Ton Of Smoke Which Sounds Like It Could Be Fun.
Why? there is a lot other less destructive ways to look like an idiot.

Tim

·
Registered
397 Posts
My truck smokes pretty good at WOT even with 15 psi.... its not a thick black, like i saw when my intercooler hose popped off.....

But I can definatly fog the people behind me.....

·
Registered
642 Posts
How many miles are on your injectors Nosmoke?

·
Registered
397 Posts
lol I dont know, I have never replaced them.... i got 150,000 on the truck....

·
Registered
412 Posts
A friend of mine used to have a 62 chevy with a wore out 6 cylinder, when someone would tailgate him he would just press on the brake a little and floor the gas and "poof" no more tailgaters. the downside was it used between 1 and 2 quarts of oil a day cruising around town.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nothing like melted pistons and fragged turbo hot ends to make smoke. :D

Case you haven't figured out yet, these aren't good engines to hot dog with. Start foolin with boost, and you better have a boost gauge and an extra set of eyes looking at it. There are alot of people here that will tell you what happens when you over boost or run high boost and have bad luck.

That stock turbo is MORE than able to turn your truck from "running" into "Waiting for a new engine"

·
Registered
478 Posts
He is not trying to get extra boost. He is trying to have no Boost so he will through a lot of Black smoke.

·
Registered
714 Posts
OH.... Well, that is like having a Ferarri powered by a 5hp Briggs. Looks awesome, but runs like a one legged dog. Depending how often you run the "Skeeter killer switch", it is gonna carbon up the turbo and everything else.

I have a Cat forklift at work with the air cleaner intake by the driver's seat. You cover the inlet, and floor it. When it revs up and advances injection and starts belching out smoke, take your hand off and put it in gear and kill skeeters. After awhile, everything carboned up pretty bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts