Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into this as a way to heat the shop. Currently have 2 large natural gas fired radiant heaters. Would like to do a hanging waste oil heater to use as a suppliment or totaly to keep the bills lower. Currently have a 55 gallon drum of waste 15 40, 10 30, ATF, and hydro oil produced every 3-4 weeks that just gets hauled away. Problem I see is these things list a consumption of anywere from 2-5 gallons per hour used.......at that rate what we produce wouldnt last long. Whats actual consumption at for these generaly? Who has what and whats a good unit? Any other thoughts or considerations? Plan on this being forced air.

Open to any other thoughts or oppinions on ways to heat the shop cheap, ways to use the used oil etc.

Thought of burning the waste oil in the diesel equipment since we have a large off road diesel tank but I am afraid of contamination and wiping out the equipment. Pretty good chance that the same pans for anti freeze will get used for oil changes and even though they arnt supposed to and they probably wont I fear one jack off dumping a pan of coolant into the waste oil barrel. Better to take out a 5k$ heater than lord knows how many trucks till the problem gets caught. Unless there is a easy cheap way to ensure antifreeze/brake cleaner/lord knows what else in the oil wont be a problem?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
We have 2 of them at work, I know we burn between 1500-2000 gal an average winter. That is heating a 100x100x22 shop with trucks getting pulled in and out all the time, keeping the shop around 60-65f. We have cleanburn units. They are ok I would say.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bout the same dimensions and constant traffic in and out.

Wonder how much we could cut the gas usage if we shut off the waste oil heater at night? And how much oil we would use in it? Just basicly use it for make up and such and aux heat durring the day? Turn the thermostat down to 50 at night, keep it around 60-65 when there is work in there. Currently 500$ gas bills for just the shop are the norm and a salamander gets used when its real cold as a make up unit in the morning and durring the day occasionaly.

Also there are a couple food joints close.....duno how much grease they go through but maybe we could steal thier grease if that would work ok? Maybe cut it with a lil diesel if it gets pretty thick?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Waste oil burners are great for supplimental heat. Keep the units that you have cause waste oil burners aren't the most reliable burners because of what they run on. They need more frequent cleaning and routine maintanence.
There is way more heat energy (btu's) per gallon of waste oil than in #2 fuel oil.
Kleanburn and Reznor are the two that I've seen most often and they seem to work fine.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
We do turn ours down to around 50 at night. They will warm it up pretty quick in the morning. They do require cleaning at so many hours and we have had to replace a couple of eye sensors. They dont seem to be too picky about what oil or fuel, little bit of everything gets mixed in around here. No antifreeze really though, occasionally some gas might get mixed in, I would try to avoid that though. You could try to get used from any place that changes oil, some pay for it to be taken, some might get paid a couple cents a gallon for it, its out there though.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would also be nice to have the make up of forced air.....the radiant are nice but it takes em some time to recover when the doors come open if your pulling out what they just spent 1/2 the day heating up.

You guys use any other form of heating other than the waste oil? Or is your usage as strictly using waste oil?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Waste oil, LPG back up in my shop, 42 x 60 x 14. I never turn mine off, set at 68. (melts the truck off real nice). Set that way I burn 12-1500 gallon a year, oct 1 to april 15. As note you need to clean the unit 2-3x a seaon, and I have my burner rebulit every other year. I have 2 local guy that I get my oil from plus my equipment. I have had one since 1995, made by lennan corp in Janesville, WI. I just replaced the unit last season, figured it was time.

·
Registered
735 Posts
like others have said have a backup they work great untill you run out of oil we went through about 4,000 gal this year and know were not able to keep them running because were so low on oil

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i bought an "ELIMINATOR" from the northern tool book. after paying 4-500 bucks every month for a reznor natural gas hanging heater in the shop and still freezing to death everyday, it paid for itself the first winter i had it. however, i wouldnt recommend it. it has to be cleaned everyday and fired every mourning. it wasnt to bad, just time consuming. still had to run the salamanders every mourning while messing with the oil burner. but cheaper than the natural gas and easier than a wood burning stove. shop was 30x50 with 3 doors and 1 walkthrough door. insulated very well. it would keep it at 70* no problem. it used about a gallon an hour.

if your worried about oil contamination, you can transfer your used oil into a staging/settleing tank. from this staging/settleing tank, you can drain out the water, antifreeze, peices of gaskets and other junk that gets into the oil supply and properly discard of it. that is what i did anyway.

you may also look into the outdoor wood furnaces if space requirements and shop location will allow. they tap into the existing duct work you may already have and use a heat exchanger. they can also heat your water if need be.

i also had a 3 ton central heat and air unit (bought used for 200 bucks installed) and 2 55K btu salamandors as back-ups. im not cold natured either, im cold blooded. if the sun aint shining on me, IM COLD!!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plenty of room and equipment to load stuff and move it around but no duct work. Also shop dosnt currently have hot water(does have water). Contemplated a wood burner. But then we have to come up with wood to feed it were we currently make waste oil.

I saw that eliminator......was about the least expensive heater I have seen. Maybe your issues are beacuse its a cheaper unit? Regardless thanks for your input as I think your experience has crossed em off the list if we do go waste oil heat :)

settling tank??? Basicly just something to let sit and suck just the stuff off the top??? We have an abundance of drums that we could hack up for storage, filtering stages etc.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
ratlover;1603315; said:
settling tank??? Basicly just something to let sit and suck just the stuff off the top??? We have an abundance of drums that we could hack up for storage, filtering stages etc.
yes. all the water, antifreeze and junk would settle to the bottom of the tank where i could drain it out. i did pump off the top and ran it through a filter before it entered the heater. it would eat filters like they were nothin. had to change them very often.

i didnt use the barrels for storage. i bought a 250 or 300 gallon plastic torage tank and kept it inside the shop. they have a drain in the bottom and screw on cap that has a barrel bung in the top of the cap (i'll take a pic of the one i still have). it is made like a pallet on the bottom so i could lift it with a fork lift. i also had another shop down the road that would give me their used oil and i would load the tanks up and go pump their oil for them. made them happy to have it gone and kept me warm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We also use waste oil heater in our shop, 40x120x20 tall with 5 14x14 doors, 250,000 btu, don't remember name, am not at work to look, routine monthly maintnance and no problems, as said earlier must be kept clean, including the eye that watches the flame, runs 24/7.
We also filter all oil that goes in, use about 1000 gal. a season, but we are in the south, the temps are no where near what you guys in the north have to deal with, also use the plastic tanks same as myojunk.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They are our only heat source, if one was to go down the other would keep up if it ran almost constantly. We have a 400 and 300 gal. upright tanks in a dike outside, we also have a 1000gal. anhydrous tank that we fill, and this year we filled all of them and had to get an old 250gal. fuel oil tank. We have air powered pumps that pump oil to each unit. They each have a canister filter which I can't ever remember having problems with.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pics.....hmmmmmmwe actually have a few of them that we buy liquid deicer in......

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I use a omni brand from Washington st. only uses 1 gal/per hour and works well shop is 36X54X16 heater is a 150 btu

·
Registered
935 Posts
Heat?

How many BTUH Are your furnaces now?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to build your own waste oil heater, check out this thing,

www.MurphysMachines.com

No filters to change, no fuel nozzles to plug up. Puts out between 70,000 and 200,000 btu's and cost only a couple hundred to build. It will burn any oil and burn it with absolutly zero smoke output.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know a local oil change around here has a waste oil furnace that works really well. It's one of the better brands and has a regular oil filter in line that they change every couple of weeks.

I was told that they normally have to clean everything about mid winter and again in the spring or fall. They pump the oil out of a large settling tank in the pits and into another tank before it gets burned.

I know it's red and was made in Wisconsin if I remember correctly.

I had asked about getting used oil to burn and they told me that a company comes in and buys the used oil for about seven cents a gallon. They have several other automotive repair shops that also buy oil from them to keep their units running so I would think that used oil should be available if you have a method to haul and store it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
we use a clean-air wast oil furnace in our shop...
our shop is 5 bays wide...2 bays deep...we can put cars on the lift and fit one behind it also..and i'd say about 16 ft tall ceilings...we also have enough dead space around the bays to pull in 3 more cars
it is our primary...only source of heat. we use (in the dead cold of winter...opening and closing doors all day) approx 50 gallons a week, give or take. youll use more oil if you turn it all the way off at night...youll be reheating a shop thats 10 degrees or colder...rather than just maintaining a temperature of say..50 degrees at night and 65 during the day.
clean burn oil furnaces are supposed to be installed with an inline oil filter to filter out contaminants, to keep from picking up large debris, we screen filter our oil into the larger storage/pickup tank. your pickup tank needs to have a valve on the bottom of it, to drain out water/antifreeze. when installing the pickup tube into the main feed tank..leave the pickup tube about 6" from the bottom of the tank...that way you know for sure you wont be pickin up nasty stuff.
the only downfall is, you need to have a constant supply of air to it..compressed air, so you need to go through your entire air system in the shop and make sure there are NO leaks anywhere..or youll be payin a huge electric bill for runnin the compressor all night long.
our clean air burner has a built in blower...
works great...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts