Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to diesels. I have always done my own work on my vehicals but when it comes to diesels I do have some questions. What is a Waste gate, What is its function. :help2:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
A wastegate basically controls the amount of exhaust that is being used to run the turbocharger. So if it is set to open at say 30psi, it will not allow the turbocharger to boost over 30psi.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Typically it starts opening well before the beak boost is achieved. If it didn't it would spike over the desired boost and settle back down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, So if the waste gate failes to open and the truck gets higher turbo pressures, am I looking at a Catistropyic failer?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Thanks, So if the waste gate failes to open and the truck gets higher turbo pressures, am I looking at a Catistropyic failer?
definately looking at a blown turbo and if you dont get the motor shut down before it burns all the oil in the pan youre looking at new motor...(with blown turbo the motor runs on the motor oil until you shut the air off to the motor which must be done by hand, keys wont do it)

there are a few on this site with first hand experience (including me) and some more than 1

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Yeah if the wastegate fails and you have enough fuel to push it out of it's efficiency range you could possible blow up the turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts