Diesel Place banner

Washing Winter Cover Question

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob in PA 
#1 ·
Since the ground hog has predicted an early spring, my thoughts have turned to cleaning up the winter residue. Does anyone know if the winter grill covers are machine washable? How about drying?

#2 ·
I've used mine for 6 seasons. I wash mine for removal by just running the truck through a drive-through auto wash. I then towel off the outside before removing. the wet cover gets a quick wipedown inside with a wet sponge and then left to dry vinyl side down laid out flat. Has worked fine for me so far. I do tumble mine for a couple minutes in the dryer to warm and soften it up for installation when I decide it's time to put it on - but wouldn't consider running it through a full wash or dry cycle in laundry machines.

#3 ·
I throw mine in the washing machine each spring and then hang it to dry outside and I haven't run into any problems

#4 ·
NF_GEO;1567785; said:
I throw mine in the washing machine each spring and then hang it to dry outside and I haven't run into any problems
Do you use the regular cycle - or something like the "delicate" cycle?

Thanks!!

#5 ·
I just hand wash mine in the Sink Just as good as the washing machine IMO

#6 ·
I just bought a cover for this ungodly cold wether we are having, only to have a few people tell me that the grill will get scratched/chaffed with it on. Have you guys had any trouble with that???? I am more anal then anyone I have ever seen with my toys, plus because of my business, my stuff has to be perfect. So, what are your thoughts please...:)

#7 ·
Fountain Power;1569279; said:
I just bought a cover for this ungodly cold wether we are having, only to have a few people tell me that the grill will get scratched/chaffed with it on. Have you guys had any trouble with that???? I am more anal then anyone I have ever seen with my toys, plus because of my business, my stuff has to be perfect. So, what are your thoughts please...:)
2 Winters my grill looks just fine

#8 ·
You actually run it through the car wash w/it on the truck??? I seriulsy think mine woudl get blown off if i tried that (doesnt seem to be on there that well to run through an auto car wash. I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking just washing it down w/a garden hose or sink, and then letting it hang dry good then pry some armor all before it gets folded up.

#9 ·
tom s.;1568040; said:
do you use the regular cycle - or something like the "delicate" cycle? thanks!!
x3

#10 ·
thejdman04;1569742; said:
You actually run it through the car wash w/it on the truck??? I seriulsy think mine woudl get blown off if i tried that (doesnt seem to be on there that well to run through an auto car wash. I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking just washing it down w/a garden hose or sink, and then letting it hang dry good then pry some armor all before it gets folded up.

Do not use armor all on the cover, it will cuase it to dry out long term... The directions say DO NOT use any conditioner on the cover, but I use 303 on everything vinyl, rubber, and plastic. My business is to make sure things look perfect and LAST that way too, not just a quick cover up and look good for now,,,:)

#11 ·
Not a Problem

thejdman04;1569742; said:
I run it through an automatic wash several times during the winter season. Maybe it's the 2001 version, but it's very securely hooked onto the grille at the bottom and sides and stretched and snapped across the top. I use the high pressure "super wash" option and have never had it come loose.

#12 ·
Idle_Chatter;1570229; said:
I run it through an automatic wash several times during the winter season. Maybe it's the 2001 version, but it's very securely hooked onto the grille at the bottom and sides and stretched and snapped across the top. I use the high pressure "super wash" option and have never had it come loose.
I've done that to my 02-04-05-07 with no problem

#13 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but where is a good place to buy a cover? Dealer or aftermarket? Any brand names that are good quality. How price range?

Thanks guys.

Bob

#14 ·
Depends on if you're looking for factory (stock) or aftermarket. Factory ones can be found here occasionally in the "for sale" section, or on ebay. I believe MaxPower sells a nice looking aftermarket one - give him a holler.

#15 ·
Tom S.;1578897; said:
Depends on if you're looking for factory (stock) or aftermarket. Factory ones can be found here occasionally in the "for sale" section, or on ebay. I believe MaxPower sells a nice looking aftermarket one - give him a holler.
Thanks for tip, Tom. I happened onto one back home here that a friend of mine had and didn't use. It is a factory one.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.