Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it mess anything up if i spray a little cleaner on my lbz and hose it off? I got some of that good ol tennessee red clay dust on the engine and it is driving me crazy. I just want to be sure it wont hurt to hose the engine off. Thanks for any info!:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
wash engine

Be sure to use a mild degreaser that will not harm aluminum. I wash mine off at least monthly.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I do it all the time, just take it easy around the alternator and ECM/TCM. Towel dry it and start it up to dry off while I clean the interior. My belt squeals like hell when it's wet for a couple of seconds though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the input. I will wash off my (cold) engine this weekend if the weather is going to be nice. I dont like the dusty black plastic look much anyway.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yeah just use no hard pressure. you can take a piece of a plastic bag to wrap around your bigger electrical connections. Just be careful around the FICM as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use a little Simple Green, then hose it off, then spray a little vinyl cleaner and leave it. Vinyl cleaner doesn't collect dust like Armorall does. I think it helps keep the belt and hoses from drying out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been using simple green to clean the engine and engine compartment on every vehicle I've owned for years and never had a problem. I just make sure I rinse everything real well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i just looked at my 06 and it isn't there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i use 409 and greased lightening, i havn't had any problems spraying the engine down, and i don't cover anything, i do it everytime i wash it

·
Registered
639 Posts
Be careful with Greased Lightning. It is very caustic to aluminum, magnesium and polished parts if used too strong or left on too long. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use a little Simple Green, then hose it off, then spray a little vinyl cleaner and leave it. Vinyl cleaner doesn't collect dust like Armorall does. I think it helps keep the belt and hoses from drying out.

What brand cleaner do you use?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Meguires works well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use simple green, or mean green, whichever i have available at the time. Spray it on let it sit about 10 minutes, and spray away !!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I steam clean the engines on my big equipment all the time. It makes them alot nicer to work on, and weld on. I don't like to catch on fire when I am welding, but that's just me.Be sides if the engine is clean you won't have as great a chance to contaminate it if you tear it apart.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have had a bad experience washing down engines. On my 1988 gasser, it started making a nasty squeeking noise after washing that never went away. Must have got some water in the pully or alternator bearings. Now I just wipe the engine down with a rag.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I hose mine off at the car wash (there's one close to my house so I can get there before the motor is hot). I just make sure I don't get too close with the high-pressure hose. If you do it often, all you're doing is blowing off dust so it doesn't require much.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts