Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the warrenty implications of installing the Nictane, and Oilgaurd filter systems? Which if any of these kits can a layman install. I am a poor mechanic at best, but have 11K on my 03 Duramax, and want it to last a long time.

Thanks in advance for your helping a rookie.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Pre OE on the Nicktane shouldn't be an issue .... It is easily reversed also should a finger pointing arise ... The only issue I could see would be IF they could prove a greater vacuum was created causing a failure ... I don't see this as a problem ,with proper maintenance ,but if your concerned and it's valid you may be, check with your service department first before install ....The Pros of additional filteration out weigh the cons .....

The Oil Guard dual by pass to me (to me) is more of an extended drain wannabe .... Oil is cheep, so are filters .... Unless you want to run synthetic with extended drain intervals with oil analysis or your a bomber looking to remove some additional oil soot contamination, IMO your wasting your time ..... But that's a personal opinion,your mileage may differ ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mac

Thanks for the input. What is the best oil filter? Have started using the Amsoil, but see many being discussed. Agree, oil is cheap, and changing is a good idea. Using Delvac 1. Is the Nicktane system easy to install?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I prefer to use the AC Delco filter,convience of purchase more than anything .... But Amsoil ,WIX ,Baldwin,Champion are are of good quality ....Just stay away from the El'cheapo brands ,Fram comes to mind .....Delvac I is quality oil ,I run it myself as many do....

Mac

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I don't think that an oil bypass is strictly related to extended oil change, Mac. Just like additional fuel filtering, bypass oil filtering allows the removal of a lot of finer junk that flows through the stock oil filter even on short change intervals. By design, any OEM or equivalent oil filter is pretty coarse (30 to 60 micron?) and has almost hair-trigger bypass valving to prevent oil starvation (dirty oil at pressure is less destuctive than no oil!
) I'm only running my oil to 7,500 miles, but I'm happy with the fact that my bypass cartridge is keeping my oil contaminants way down as my analyses are showing on every change. No warranty is expressed or implied, results may vary, local taxes,m shipping and handling will be included.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Idle_Chatter is correct. ALL spin on filters have a bypass valve. Bypass is the only way to reduce the contaminants. I installed the Amsoil bypass system to keep the contaminants down. You can safely extend oil change intervals when you reduce the contaminant level if you choose. I have seen 'bypass' systems clean and remove all sludge from very dirty engines. It works.

just my .02 worth

·
Registered
490 Posts
The most challenging portion of a Nicktane installation is the removal of the fuel line jumper between the tank and stainless steel lines going up to the engine compartment. Buy a quality disconnect tool. Most here, including myself recommend the Lisle tool, which can be purchased at Sears or any independent auto parts store. The tools carried by Auto Zone WILL NOT WORK, don't waste your time and money, get the Lisle.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I did say IMO but what the he** no one has ever claimed what it will do for LONG TERM longevity ....

On a properly broken in engine with adequate intake filtering what is the major long term benefit ?? How many Cummins high milers have made it do to additional oil filtering ?? Who has ran comparison oil analisis,to bypass or not ??

How long do you want to keep your truck ?? Until the chrome wears off the front bumper ??

Comparing oil bypass to additional fuel filtering on the Duramax is not a good comparison ..... We know the fuel filtering is lacking in our trucks ....

My argument good maintanece ,accelerated by modifications, mine will live a long happy life with OE oil filtration ..... Prove my oil filter sucks ..... I've seen some very respectable oil analysis with current filtering capabilities unlike fuel ....

We all need to justify our cash "out" flow ,prove the need .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, since you don't have a very strong opinion about it, Mac
I think you could compare your "respectable" oil analysis results to mine and see if there isn't a noticable difference that would indicate decreased wear and engine longevity. And I do kind of plan to drive this DMax until the chrome wears off the bumper.

788_75K_Ferro.PDFEdited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I run the Oil Guard primarily to reduce the frequency of oil changes. I just don't get that thrill of changing oil any more. A bypass system also helps me justify
running expensive synthetic oils such as Delvac 1. They way I see it if I can run Delvac 7500 miles or even 10K miles vice every 5000 miles, over the long haul the bypass filter pays for itself aside from the benefit of providing 1-2 micron filtration (I think Oil Guard claims 1 or 2 micron, I may be wrong).

Without a bypass system I'd be running Dino oil and changing every 5K ... IMO changing Delvac every 5K would be a waste of money. One could also argue that Delvac 1 in our trucks without a bypass is a waste of money ... would the difference be 300K miles out of an engine compared to 275K miles with dino oil? How many own their trucks that long to tell? It's all a mental thing ...

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
At 23,000 4200 miles on Delvac I
cu 5
fe 7
cr 1
pb 4
al 1
si 5
mo 0
na 3
ca 2622
sn 0
k 5
mg 455
zn 1366
w neg
f neg
a neg
st 14
oxi 5
sul 0
vis 12.8

Juiced at 5k,ridden hard ..... No oil consumption to date ..... Current mileage 37k .... I have changed my oil couple times since then and just changed at 35k ..... I might run a current analysis just for you my friend ...
Currently driving at better then 450 RWHP daily when it aint raining or snowing .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Mackin, the point being?
If I read your post correctly, the oil analysis numbers were for a Delvac 1 change with 4200 miles on it? I wasn't trying to start a debate or anything ... I was just saying IMO changing Delvac 1 every 5K miles wouldn't be worth it in my pocket book. What would the oil analsysis numbers look like with 4200 miles on Dino oil? My guess is not signfically different.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Those are more excellent that respectable results, Mac. Your point is well taken that you're comfortable with OEM oil filtration. I'm very warm and fuzzy about my dual remote. I'm also pleased that although I have an extra cartridge to swap every other change: they are vertical just under the driver's door,can be completely prefilled with clean oil, AND don't pop blood vessels in my head and break filter tools trying to twist the suckers off like my OEMs did!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts