Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i stopped by my local chevy dealership where i brought my truck. They use to be a really cool dealership that would warranty everything. They would even install programmers and exhausts,etc. . The main shop manager told me today that a GM sales rep stopped by to basically chew them out. They told them not to do ANYTHIN to these trucks. And also not to warranty a truck that had anythin done to it - performance or looks. He told me that he would have to void my warranty if i altered anythin. Even cuttin half the stock exhaust tip off and weldin a chrome tip on. He said not to even put a tadge bigger tires on it because he would have to void warranty. No gauges. No nothin. Even if what I did did not cause the problem they wouldnt warranty it. Is this not some bull#### !!!!!!! I just wanted to warn everybody about that. Make sure to check with your dealer if you want to modify anythin and keep your warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could completely understand if somebody programmed their truck and was pushin some big numbers and so on. but just putting a chrome tip on ? thats a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They can't legally do that. They HAVE to prove that the modification caused the problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mudflaps were the clincher. NOOOOOO warranty for U.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That sounds a bit out there. A bugshield, exh tip, etc cannot void warranty, but I agree that any performance mod, tire size revision, etc. is (by the letter of the law) fair game for them and they are now enforcing it since GM is hemoragging $$. Many other threads on this topic, opinions all over the board. GM is cracking down hard on dealerships for warranty claims forwarded to them. Now, if a dealership adds a upgraded wheel/tire combo, lift or leveling kit, etc. to a new truck they are selling, then they must warranty it and all the mods on it at the sale for at least the period of the GM warranty. However, that is $ coming directly out of the dealer's pocket not GM's.

I have a hard time believing if you do some aesthetic mods i.e. exh tip, fender flares, running boards,etc. that any dealer will void your warranty. If they do that to many people, they will be in court and will lose that one. Now if you run tuners, lifts, larger tires, alter emissions equipment, etc., then I say you are on your own and should at least be prepared to pay the fiddler for playing with mods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I brought that up about how the state law says they have to warranty it if what you did didnt cause the problem, he said that thats wrong. they told him to void warranty if anythin was done. And he said that everythin done to a truck had to be GM made even if its just mudflaps. The only reason I found this out was I asked if I could cut half the stock exhaust tip off and put a nice chrome one on it. He said hed void my warranty because its not a GM accessory. I just love how there always has to be a smarta$$
(doccheckyu2)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I brought that up about how the state law says they have to warranty it if what you did didnt cause the problem, he said that thats wrong. they told him to void warranty if anythin was done. And he said that everythin done to a truck had to be GM made even if its just mudflaps. The only reason I found this out was I asked if I could cut half the stock exhaust tip off and put a nice chrome one on it. He said hed void my warranty because its not a GM accessory. I just love how there always has to be a smarta$$
(doccheckyu2)
You have an a$$hole dealer/service dept. Go somewhere else. Again, if you are doing performance mods or changing things in the OEM drivetrain (incl wheels/tires) they have a firmer argument and you should be prepared to pay. If you are talking about mudflaps, exh tips, etc. then most dealerships won't even notice that stuff. Your guy is an a$$clown and I would stop wasting my time there if I were you.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
An example is I have larger tires and wider rims than OEM, I have an added exh tip, nerf bars, grille insert, bug deflector, tinted front windows, and a spray in liner. All of this was on the truck when I bought it new, as an upgrade pkg (stole it from them, but that's a different story). Anyway, my dealership where purchased must warrant those items for the life of the GM warranty, or they have the shop that did it on the hook, but anyway it is there responsibility not GM's.

I just had my EGR valve go bad last week. I took it to another Chevy shop close to my office out of convenience. They pulled up the truck, saw it was bought somewhere else, could obviously see all the stuff on it that was not OEM, and they honored the warranty and replaced the EGR valve, no questions asked.

Have I mentioned the guy at your dealership is an a%%hat?? Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You have an a$$hole dealer/service dept. Go somewhere else. Again, if you are doing performance mods or changing things in the OEM drivetrain (incl wheels/tires) they have a firmer argument and you should be prepared to pay. If you are talking about mudflaps, exh tips, etc. then most dealerships won't even notice that stuff. Your guy is an a$$clown and I would stop wasting my time there if I were you.

I agree with you,move on to the next dealer;say maybe the toyota dealer

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dealerships are going to get worse as the "Big Three" go further into the toilet and the economy drops. Just wait until the new 2010 standards come into play ! Mod your ride then and its really going to be all on you.

Read the mods list for many here. We have made the choice and now its on us, laws or not. They want your truck stock...period. Anything else and they have to spent $$$$ which now they don't have.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Dealerships are going to get worse as the "Big Three" go further into the toilet and the economy drops. Just wait until the new 2010 standards come into play ! Mod your ride then and its really going to be all on you.

Read the mods list for many here. We have made the choice and now its on us, laws or not. They want your truck stock...period. Anything else and they have to spent $$$$ which now they don't have.
No kidding....2010 teir-4 emisson's.....:eek::eek::eek::eek: Im guessing........3 dpf's and 2 cats-:t

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Well, with the LMM's the exhaust tip is more than just a ugly tip - its used to cool the exhaust gases, and since it serves a function (whether you believe it or not) that's the reason they're saying that about the tips.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well, with the LMM's the exhaust tip is more than just a ugly tip - its used to cool the exhaust gases, and since it serves a function (whether you believe it or not) that's the reason they're saying that about the tips.
good point, never even thought about the trombone tip on the end of the LMM's exhaust. If that is what he is referring to as tip he wanted to cut off and replace, then I agree that is a perf mod and on him.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i probably will move on to another dealership. wouldcuttin half the trumpet off where it goes down to 4 in and welding a 4 inch to 5 inch back on affect airflow ?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Yes, its in the shape of a venturi, as air gets drawn in from the back side it squezed down through the neck of tail pipe, this narrowing increases the air speed, thus providing a cooling effect of the exhaust, key for regen. any mods to that basic design will have a negetive effect on how it functions.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.