Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the responce I got from Pontiac-GMC Customer Assistance when I first bought my truck in February '02 and put 265 BFG's on it. I heard that GM was voiding the Allison warranty if you had any size except the stock 245's.

I did not like the wording of this response so after many emails back and forth they clarified their statement to make me happy.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What I recall was GM instructing dealers to not consider any Allison shifting complaints when non-OEM sized tires were on the vehicle. Only after you reinstall the 245/75s would dealers try to duplicate the problem.

It may be a good idea to keep those OEM wheels w/ 245's tires and have another set for driving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
neverenuf

Thank You very much.

I'm wondering if there is a policy change for 2003. My partners 2002 was suppose to have been recalibrated before he picked it up, The dealership had to take the 265's off his 2001 ( a GM buy back ) and put on hls 2002. Now I wonder if they really recalibrated the computer.

Once again thank you nevernuf for your time. I'm starting to feel a little better.

Keping the tires and wheels is a good idea. I've still got my tires. I need to look for a set of wheels.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I picked up a set of PY0 take off wheels for snows, and put on 245/75-16 Nokians. Narrower tires cut through the snow better. When the OE Flintstones wear out, I am going for 265/75-16 Revos as the non-winter tires (the 3 months of the year when snow is not on the ground).

The thing that is funny is that I bought the Nokians at the local GMC dealer, and he would have put 265s on if I wanted them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does Chevrolet and GMC have different policies?

Somethings are hard to figure out!

I guess we're not suppose to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Man, you talk about double-speak... that's like being from the Department of Redundancy Department. You sure you weren't asking the Feds for an answer?...

I'm planning to put some decent rubber under my new Silverado - haven't decided exactly what that'll be just yet, but the warranty issue is an issue...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

If in fact GM would ever do this to me let me over the size of my tires this will be the last GM truck I would ever own!

Tires should not be a issue!!!!!

They boast about how TOUGH there trucks and transmissions are. If that is the case then why are guys putting extra fuel filters on!! And now hearing that they will VOID the Alison wnty if we change our stock car tire to real truck TIRE like the 265s!!

This would just be BS.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I know what your getting at... I thnk most of us are smart enough to know that bigger wheels will affect the drivetrain ratio.

But, GM's trying to avoid complaints associated with the Allison shift points, both down and up shifting, tow and nontowing modes. GM believes customers will complain that Allison isn't shifting as well. In reality, GM should parameterize for wheel and tire size.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer said if their ever was a problem, they keep some take-offs in the shop and would put them on my truck to diagnose if they had to. If anyone is around New Roads, LA check out Maggio GMC. They have treated me like a King since day 1 and have good prices too. All they sell is GMC trucks...and lots of them. I drove from Baton Rouge (over an hour) where there are tons of GM dealerships to get this truck. The big dealerships in town are too full of liars and backhand dealers for me. I finally said screw em and went to a small town where they are happy to have your buisness.

NCMAX-

It did sould like a guilty politician talking in that first paragraph, that's why I kept on them until they said it to where I got the "warm fuzzy". The email I posted is actually 6 pages long, I only posted the meat for you guys.Edited by: neverenuf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts