Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had problems with their brakes. My 3500 has 12000 miles and the rotors are warped. Since I haven't towed anything yet I can't blame it on that. Edited by: Dave Lewis

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have the same problem. I took my truck in with 7500 miles and they told me it was from my After market wheels and tires. I agreed to have my tires balanced if they would turn my rotors if the problem did not go away. They agreed to do that but I have not taken it back yet. My tires were a little off balance but they still shake when I slow down. However mine did not get warped until I put my few mods on and started driving it harder. So I might be somewhat to blame but I do not know.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They won't be able to use that escuse with me since I have the stock wheels. I'm calling tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The #1 cause of warped rotors is improper torquing of the wheels. Either too much torque with an air wrench and or running one lug at a time up tight. A few thousands will cause the peddle to pulsate when stopping. Later! Frank

·
Registered
47 Posts
I doubt your dealer will give you any problems...

Mine was happy to replace all 4 rotors at 19,000 miles, on GM's dime.

It seems there are people who can't get to 20K on brakes... and those that go 100K with no problems

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Frank. I did not use an impact but I did not use a torque wrench either. Aren't they supposed to be torqued to 150 ft/lbs or something like that?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I once saw a link to a site that talked about breaking in new brakes. He had a very specific procedure for breaking them in and said that if the vehicle was stopped and brakes held while the brakes were very hot, the rotors would cool unevenly and warp the rotors. It all made a lot of sense, even tho the site was geared toward performance brakes on race cars, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts