Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1. Thought this would be a decent enough motor, but it sucks. Both in fuel consumption and off the line when loaded. I know this won't be easy, as there are few off the shelf parts. The adapter plate for the Allison 1000 is easy to come by, but the electronics side will be a nightmare I am thinking. Everything is 99 gm an older.

I had a 16 duramax. Great truck, just do want an electronic diesel. Too costly in the long run. yes, I'll have costs here, but once done the engine side should last my lifetime.

And no, I am not going to look for a 5.9 dodge. Hard to find a crew cab and if one does, dodge has that teeny, tiny back seat. I have a family that rides and that's not very comfy. Plus I've blasted the painted the frame on this truck and it's a really nice truck

Anyways, any and all help appreciated

Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got an 06 Megacab Dodge 5.9/6spd and it has more room in the back seat of any crew cab i have owned.
True . Since no one can help with the swap, I looked for a used megacab, but they are far and few between . You have a nice truck then . I don't know why dodge went with those really small back seats, as their main truck . It is such a negative, but they've been successful with the cummins . Without it, dodge was heading out of the truck market

·
Registered
1984 GMC K1500, 6.2/4speed, Banks turbo
44 Posts
If i get a chance, I’ll see if I can find some wiring diagrams to see what all is needed. What is the computer service number and hardware number in the truck?

Just need to figure out what inputs the Allison needs. Its probably like the 4L80, crank position, throttle position (tps), ECT and a few others. For tps, you can look into using an APPS from a Cummins, or swapping to a newer accelerator pedal with it built in.

An 8.1 should be 24x crank, so figuring how to add a 24x reluctor - possibly off the front of the harmonic balancer, let me dig and I’ll see how many x the tone ring is for a CR cummins.

for the 4l80, we are using 0411 PCMs, with a 00-01 5.7 van tune (4x) with the electronic 6.5 timing chain (has 4x gear on crank sprocket) , balancer and CPS
You turn off everything on the engine side BUT tps, cps, and whatever other sensors the trans needs from the engine to run. Then remove un-necessary wiring

Cummins swaps, I’ve done 13 so far mostly 12v and p-pump swapped 24v, but also did a CR in a Ford integrating all the electronics. GM electronics are easier to me.

·
Registered
1984 GMC K1500, 6.2/4speed, Banks turbo
44 Posts
Nice truck, but it be a manual. Had a dump truck business. Don't want to see another manual in this life time.....😁
I understand. Everything I have is standard, unless I take the wife’s vehicle, and I need a new left knee. 40 years of clutches hasn’t helped it either After I get my 84 reliable, I’m going back to an automatic in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.