Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck came with the plain jane single disc. I want to upgrade to a NAV System. I am almost positve I do not have the bose option. Would it be easier for me to install (or have installed) and aftermarket unit.
Is there any aftermarket NAV units that do not have a flip-up screen? I like the look of the factory units and I am too lazy to push a button to make the screen come out.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just read this thread...

that I have attached. You can always search for more as they are plentiful. Pics in my garage. Prepare for the factory, Eclipse, Kenwood, Pioneer debates to continue...
:) :ro)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
you can get a factory nav with out Bose too.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
you can get a factory nav with out Bose too.
isnt the TNR out of a 2006 Buick Rendevouz NON-Bose??

part number for that is 15811289.

Ben

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
isnt the TNR out of a 2006 Buick Rendevouz NON-Bose??

part number for that is 15811289.

Ben
I dunno thats why asked all of you guys....I have no clue:eek::

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
There is one available on Ebay right now. Non-Bose unit. Just search "GM Navigation".

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can do it as far as I know, but you may be better off with an aftermarket unit for the money. It's entirely up to you. Is it worth it to you to spend the money on a factory nav w/touchscreen? If not, look into Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Clarion, etc. They all have the non-flip type touchscreen units that just install into the factory location like mad's setup shown above.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm decisions decisions....I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If I were you, I'd try to get a chance to screw around with the factory unit first. Most guys on this site are fixated on the factory setup because it is a flawless install and looks stock, but believe me, if you're a true audiophile, you will be better off with an aftermarket unit. Also, if you try out a GM touchscreen unit, you'll know right away if you want to spend the money on it or if you should just go with an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
want a stock looking unit with , NO problems!!!!!!!! and retain all your factory functions !!!go stock nav , want to have lots of add on devices to make aftermarket work, go that rout. If you want the best sound $ can buy go complete aftermarket with amps , what is your goal????????????

·
Registered
363 Posts
The one in my truck is part #15229837. Non-Bose from a Buick Rendezvous. Works perfect!:cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
How doable is it to upgrade from non bose single CD system to Bose Nav (with lux amp, sub and tweeters)?

Cost isnt really a issue, just wondering how much of a headache it would be to gather all the right parts for the project?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
BIG BIG BIG headache, and for the $ you can get a better sounding aftermarket system.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hmm, wonder what my opinion is?

Oh yeah! :ro)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
dang computer!

let's try that again! :ro)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
want a stock looking unit with , NO problems!!!!!!!! and retain all your factory functions !!!go stock nav , want to have lots of add on devices to make aftermarket work, go that rout. If you want the best sound $ can buy go complete aftermarket with amps , what is your goal????????????

I would like to keep the factory look and steering wheel controls functioning. I am not too concerned about sound quality. I have not even used my cd player and I have had my truck since August.
I do the occasional road trip and the NAV unit and XM (a non-bose unit has XM right?) I have a garmin street pilot GPS, but I use it in my company truck. I am too lazy to switch it back and forth, plus I am afraid I would drop it or lose it.
So, I think will try and locate a Gm unit. I need to find a Non-Bose unit out of a Buick Rendezvous...correct???
Will this be a plug n play or will there be re-wiring? I know I will need to get the XM and GPS antenna, hopefully those just plug into the radio????
Thanks for the help.
Ken

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Do all of the GM/Bose NAV radios have to use a Nav CD in the drive for active Navigation?

·
Registered
825 Posts
let's try that again! :ro)
I agree 100%. If I'm going to spend a grand on a headunit, I'm getting as far away from stock as possible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts