Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
water temp gauge, as a check against the original factory gauge. On an '82 6.2 "J". As I have a manual glow plug set up, could I use the location of the factory glow controller as an install point for the aftermarket sender? Seems pretty straightforward, but wanted to check with the experts to make sure I'm not causing trouble. Had some heating issues last weekend in the mountains thru VA and it keep giving me trouble all the way home to FL. Thought an extra gauge to compare to the 24 year old factory gauge in the future might be in order.
I replaced the T'stat(190*), lower hose and temp sender switch today and all seems OK, but still want to keep a closer eye on it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I don't think the mounting bolts for the glow plug relay go into the coolant. If they do, go ahead and do it. If they don't and you can't find another hole into the water jacket, I guess I would drill and tap into the crossover pipe as close to the head as possible and install the sending unit there. That way you don't have to drill into the head or block.

If you have cooling issues, you may end up needing a radiator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the early gpr does see coolant on the face. I got rid of the early GPR and put the water temp sender in its place. Another location is on the water pump. there's an opening right where the lower radiator hose comes in. or get rid of the factory sender on the left front of the head and put it in there.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Another location is on the water pump. there's an opening right where the lower radiator hose comes in.
I forgot about that one. Seems to me there's a plug there you can unscrew, if I remember correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts