Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4x4 diesel with a 3:73 rear end. I want to by a fifth wheel with the following specs:

dry hitch weight 2060lbs
unloaded vehicle weight 12275lbs
GVWR 15500lbs
cargo carry capacity 3225lbs
Fresh water cap. 64 gal
gray water cap. 140 gal
black water cap. 108 gal

Can I haul this?
How close over or under to max am I?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! :thumb:

Crew cabs, extended cabs, regular cabs and the various size beds all have different weight ratings. Open your driver's door and look at the specs given for your truck. As for the pin weight, until you weigh your truck to see how much weight the rear axle already has, you won't know if you're going to be over or under. Plus the MFG stated pin weight will change depending on how you load the trailer. Also remember that GVW is with the truck loaded, so if that includes you, a wife, three kids and a dog, along with a tool box in the bed and some additional camping supplies, they all have to be added in when weighing the truck to see how close you already are to the GVW rating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door panel says: GAWR GAWR FRT GAWR RR
10,000 LBS 5,200 LBS 6,200 LBS

Does this help you figure it out?

I found on truck trend mag. that for a Denali crew cab, std. box:

4wd w/6.6L (3.73 axle) is 15,600 lbs trailer towing maximum with 5th wheel but if
you go on GMC web site it says: 16,800 lbs. ???

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
You will need air bags if you don't already have them.
Otherwise you should be fine.
you will be very close to your max limit but until you weigh the rig you will never really know.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You can legally carry 11,400 lbs total on your trucks axles. With air bags and the weight properly distributed you should be fine if you have appropriate tires. I had to rescue a friend in Panama city two weekends ago (his 11' dodge Cummins auto puked) he commercial hauls cars with a five car hauler. Put his dually on the back of the trailer and the Buick in the middle. Trailer was 21,000lbs had to cross two scales both passed me. I do not normally tow that much but you can if its loaded correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of air bags would you suggest? Where can I get them and what kind of money are we talking about? I also need to get a 5 wheel hitch. Any thoughts on a good one?

Thank-you in advance.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I had Firestone bags on my '96 2500. My hitch is a B&W Companion. Had others but this one is really great, especially if you're already have a Turnover ball for a goose neck. That is a lot of camper to pull on a regular basis with your 2500. I've done it and now with the 3500 dually I would not go back to a 2500.
Jim

·
Registered
271 Posts
You will be over 11,000# Gross on the truck and probably around 6500 to 6800# on the rear axle depending on the pin weight. The truck will pull it just fine, but you will be over the door numbers, and maybe the load ratings on the rear tires. I would bet that your pin weight will be between 2800 and 3200# depending on the amount of water in the fresh water tank and what you put in the front compartments.
Frank

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I've had both Firestone and Air Lift air bags, and like the Air Lift because they cost less but are the same quality as the Firestone's. I recently bought their 5000 Ultimate series and paid $375 through Amazon, plus they had a $50 rebate, which brought the cost down to $325.

5th wheel hitches are like car brands, everyone has a favorite. If you have a short bed, you are going to want to look at one with a slider that lets the hitch move backwards when parking to give you cab to 5th wheel clearance on sharp turns. Hitches also run the gambit in price, up over 3 thousand dollars for the real expensive air type. If money is an issue, consider buying used from Craigslist or a local RV dealer. Hitches come in two parts, the hitch that sets above the bed, and the rails it mounts to beneath the bed. You may find a used hitch but still need to buy the rail mount for your vehicle. Get a hitch that is rated for more than your trailer weighs, in your case, 18K or higher would be good.

What brand 5th wheel are you getting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am buying a 2016 River Forest Sierra 265SAQB I think. After reading that it might be to big for my truck, I am now wondering if I should order it or not.Can anyone else chime in and give me your 2 cent on it. I don't know what to do!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Your truck has the power to pull it, as it contains the same engine/trans as a one ton dually. The issue is the weight capacity of the truck. You will find people on here who will tell you they pull more everyday, but that doesn't make it right or safe. Air bags do not add any capacity to a truck. They do however help take weight off of the springs so the truck doesn't sag as much. This can make it appear the truck is level and so must not be overloaded, but that may (and in your case probably won't) not be the case.

The bottom line is your truck will pull it, and assuming good brakes on the truck and trailer, will stop it (eventually), but depending on how much you plan on pulling the trailer, it could be hard on the truck and you might run afoul with the law in places like California where they are starting to take an active role in policing RV'ers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I gave you my 2 cents in post #8, it hasn't changed. Tom S. is giving you very good advise and I gave you realistic numbers, the final decision is yours.
Frank

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I would say an RV fiver properly loaded with a weight of 14k-15k would be fine. I consistently have pulled 12k-13k commercially and have 434k miles on my truck now.
I have a Reese 20k slider I bought off Craig's list, it was like new at the time. I have Firestone air bags, the heavy duty ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For what its worth, I've had an engineer from GM tell me that on my 2007 2500hd, if I keep the pin weight in the low to mid 2,000's, keep a lot of heavy stuff out of the truck beyond a couple or three people and the tires to handle it, I can tow it all day long. The cargo capacity stated on the door sticker is an "unbraked" load (like a slide in camper.) I've been concerned about an advertised pin weight of 1,800 lbs of one (11,000 lbs) I'm looking at when folks say the real pin weight is likely to come in a 20-25% of the load trailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts