Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that is what I am finding out here in Southwest Michigan. I have been checking with over 6 areas stores since last fall.:mad: Ended up finding some at Pep Boys (for more $$$, quart bottles only).

Walmart told me today the item "has been deleted from their system"

How disappointing...........

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's because Mobil is discontinuing it effective Feb 15. The new product suitable for Duramax is Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. However, I don't know if WalMart will carry it, or what it will cost.

Truck and SUV in the 5 quart containers was a bargain. I am glad I stocked up for 6 or 7 oil changes.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Does motor oil have a shelf life?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
WalMarts tend to pick and choose products per each store.....Ive found the M1 at some stores, but not at others......

Either way, I used it in the TDI and was not overly fond of it. Back to the Amsoil.

Not sure about the shelf life, but I like to use it up within a year.....hope Im safe.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Does motor oil have a shelf life?
It will last forever on the shelf. The only problem will be when the containers begin to dry rot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just remember, it must get better with age. It started out as a dinosaur.LOL

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
The Walmart where I go doesn't carry any oil for diesels, it used to why not now , don't know:rolleyes: I believe Kmart does but not sure what their prices are

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was just at Wallyworld and they had it in quarts only. I use Rotella T and they were out of that too.Said they were remodeling the store or something to that effect. So we headed to ALL the major auto parts stores and NO one had any freaking oil so I can't change it today, told the little woman lets get the heck out of here and go home so I figured I'de change rear end oil and couldn't find synthetic they recommend so I'm home cleaning the horse stalls instead.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wallyworld here in the thumb just got it back in stock in quarts only. $5.52/ quart is about $1 less than Kmart or other parts stores. They haven't carried the 5 quarts for several months now.:eek::

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
My buddy that works at the Mobil packaging plant says the additives will seperate from the carrier oil over time. He also says you cannot just shake the bottle to remix the oil, he says it must be remixed a certain way.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had to stop at three places tonight to get the Mobil 1 truck and SUV oil and filter. Got the filter at Autozone for $10.99, 9 quarts of oil at Walmart for $5.52 each, and finally found the last quart at Checker for $5.99. This **** aint cheap at around $72 including tax, but I plan on running it for 10,000 miles or so. :ro)

Out!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm not crazy about Rotella being a group-III (mineral base stock), but I'm not going to pay K-Mart or Pep Boys $6/qt for M1.

I'm sure Mobil's replacement will come with an increased price, just like the EP (and the EP 15w50 analyses out nearly identical to the original 15w50 Redcap).

I went ahead and bought into the Amsoil "Preferred Customer" program.
$20 for that. My dirtbike oil will be $6.30/qt instead of the $7.50 or so for M1-MX4T from Wal-Mart, and I can now get 2.5 gallon jugs of Amsoil 15w40 CI4+ for about $44... about the same that two of the 5qt jugs of M1 T&SUV used to cost.

I've been running the 5w40, and am a big fan of running the lightest oil possible, but I keep thinking that just maybe the 5w oil is not the best choice for SoCal weather where it never gets below 45.

Unfortunately, 5w40 has been the only synthetic option available locally, but Amsoil has HD Diesel oil in both 15w40 and 5w30. I did not see any changes in MPG when I switched to the 5w40... we'll see what happens when I switch back to 15w40.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the press release for the new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil:

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 9, 2006-- New Synthetic Truck & SUV and Turbo Diesel Motor Oils Deliver Unsurpassed Protection for Gasoline and Diesel Engines

Significant growth of diesel-powered trucks and the continued popularity of gasoline-powered light trucks and sport utility vehicles (SUVs) as "working" vehicles has created a need for engine-specific high-performance motor oils. Two new products from ExxonMobil, Mobil 1(R) Truck & SUV 5W-30 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, are filling that need, and providing superior protection and extending the engine life for these hard-working trucks.
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 replace Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40.
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 will be available nationwide beginning in mid-February, at leading automotive retailers and participating Exxon and Mobil service stations. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 will be available in April at the same locations.
The newly formulated Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 contains extra anti-oxidant, allowing for greater protection against deposit formation in hard-working gasoline trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles. The new energy-conserving formulation meets the latest industry standards for gasoline engines.
With the popularity of diesel-powered light trucks continuing to grow, ExxonMobil engineered Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 to help extend engine life in modern turbo-charged diesel engines, even those operating in severe conditions such as towing and hauling. This formula meets the latest industry standards, including CI-4 Plus, and exceeds the requirements for both light-duty and heavy-duty diesel equipment. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck reduces low-temperature sludge build-up and high-temperature deposits through excellent thermal and oxidation stability. High temperatures pose little threat, as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck maintains its viscosity and has enhanced oil film strength, helping to reduce engine scuffing and bore polishing. It also provides wear protection and reduced oil consumption with its shear stability.
"With trucks and SUVs accounting for over 50 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. and with significant growth of diesel-powered pick-ups, we felt it was important to create separate oils for the different needs of these vehicles," said Brad Onofrio, automotive marketing manager - Americas Region, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties Company. "Mobil 1 Truck & SUV and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck are high-performance motor oils that offer superior protection for hard-working gasoline and diesel engines."

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 will be available in April at the same locations.
Freaking genius.
They've lost a customer.... it won't be available until April and I haven't been able to get it at a reasonable price since November. I've already had to do one change without M1, and even had I not decided to switch to Amsoil, I would still have to do one more change without M1.

They have similar distribution problems with their motorcycle oils. Sure.... I can ALWAYS get it for $10 a quart at the bike dealership, but it's $7.50 at Wal-Mart... when they have it in stock.

I would not have even considered switching to Amsoil if I were not concerned about availability. My last oil change, I did my truck, my daughter's Echo, and my wife's Rav4.
It took me 3 hours and over 30 miles of driving to collect the needed oil and filters at reasonable prices, and I could not get T&SUV for the truck at anything better than $6/qt for quart bottles at K-Mart, and THEY didn't even have 10 quarts. No thanks.. it got Rotella. From now on, I'm just going to have the oil delivered a week before I'm ready for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts