Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new one earlier this year. Now that I have my truck running, I have been drivin it more. Now it doesnt click all the time like it did when I fist installed it. Are these suppose to click constantly when you first turn on the key?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I can hear mine plain as day. It is in the stock location.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
When you turn the key to the on position; the clicks you hear are relays. Starter, fuel shutoff... maybe a lift pump relay.

The lift pump on a 99 will run only when the oil pressure is up (unless you modified its electrical circuit)

I surely cannot hear mine while the truck is running and mine is modded for always on with key on. (Its the delco and it's in the oe location)

Best way to tell if it's working or not;

BY EAR METHOD
-Turn the engine on.
-Get a metal rod of sorts. I use an aluminum rod about a yardstick long.
-Get under the [email protected] pump
-Put one end of metal rod to the pump
-Other end to your ear...

..OR...

FUEL PURGE METHOD
-Get a hose for the air bleeder valve or ffm drain
-Install said hose on preferred outlet... so you dont make a mess :)
-Turn engine on
-Open the air purge valve on top of filter or drain (bleed fuel into Jerry can... if ya like.. no point in wasting fuel on the ground) I prefer the air purge valve.. bleeds air while your at it... anyway... whatever the choice make sure its wide open...

If the engine stalls the lp is faulty, or just plain not working.
If it still runs you're fine; pump is working fine.

I prefer the fuel purge method.

Now you can get all fancy and get a psi gauge and do all that mess but unless you're having issues under a load at speed... curious about fuel delivery rates and performance... this method is overrated unless your doing that sorta thing.

But if all you're trying to do is see if the lp is infact working or not... simple yes or no answer type of thing... fuel purge or by ear method. Both take less than 30 secs to perform. Took me 10x longer to write this vs doing it :hehe:

:thumb: hope this helps

Edit: just a tip of sorts...

You can use the metal rod trick to listen to all types of things. Injectors. Injection pump. Valves. Pistons. Just depends on where you put the rod depends on what you're hearing. :thumb: just dont get caught up in the fan or anything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How old and what model is the Walbro lift pump. Walbro has updated a lot of their pumps to where they only run when fuel is needed.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
When you turn the key to the on position; the clicks you hear are relays. Starter, fuel shutoff... maybe a lift pump relay.

The lift pump on a 99 will run only when the oil pressure is up (unless you modified its electrical circuit)
Eh, kinda. My lift pump will click for a couple of clicks, when I first turn the key, if I haven't run it for a few days and the pressure has bled off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts