Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my truck in the middle of August. Dealer said it should be here early October

Can you feel my pain?

I guess the first thing to do after I take delivery is add a fuel filter.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
No doubt ...But it will make that first ride extra special ...

Yes Nicktane cat filter setup would be a good choice as your first mod ..

Break it in start thinking POWER >>>

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Roscoe said:
I ordered my truck in the middle of August. Dealer said it should be here early October

Can you feel my pain?

Any ideas?

I just ordered the Nicktane filter setup. http://nicktane.com/filter.htm

Saw it and like the ease of the CAT filter. Nick really did his homework. Can't wait to get it on the truck.

GMC
Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep, I have a Nicktane setup as well ordered....should be here in a few days!

Nick seems to be a busy guy with his new setup.

John

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Yes the waiting game sucks but you will be SOOO happy when its over...

if you'd like to get a nicktane kit, i will have new plasma cut brackets thursday. one-piece 3/16" steel. powder coated even!

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Diesel Power said:
Yes the waiting game sucks but you will be SOOO happy when its over...

if you'd like to get a nicktane kit, i will have new plasma cut brackets thursday. one-piece 3/16" steel. powder coated even!

What'ta ???

J/K ...

Hope to get mine on this weekend ..

Mac

·
Registered
410 Posts
your new ride will be well worth the wait..good luck and congratulations, later bc

·
Registered
772 Posts
I feel your pain. I waited from Feb to July '02. It was worth it. By all means get a secondary fuel filter right away. You will find a built-in bias here in favor of the "Nicktane" kit ... but only because it is a terrific setup. There are alternatives, which I hope get discussed as this site grows in membership and participation, but it was after considering them that I chose Nick's setup. Good luck with your new truck. Don't watch the calendar. It doesn't help.

TC

·
Registered
307 Posts
I went through the same wait as you, August-to-Oct, last year. It drives you buggy. you are going to love your truck. I've got over 16K miles on mine and it keeps getting stronger and smoother all the time.

One thing you should seriously consider is a 2 micron fuel filter - the sooner/the better. I don't think that the OEM filter is too hot. Any particulates in the fuel above 2 microns running through the high pressure, 23,500 psi, fuel injector pump and injectors can, over time, have a sandblasting effect upon your pump and injectors.

Not trying to be an alarmist but a good filter gives good peace of mind. I seem to have gotten some addtional power/acceleratioon smoothness since my install. Many claim to get an increased mpg or so.

On edit: Fixed my spelling. Also I see that most others have also recommended the filter. Sorry if my recommendation is redundant.Edited by: Mr X

·
Registered
410 Posts
guys, this is my first diesel..why is it important to add a secondary fuel filter? thanx in advance

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, know all about the waiting business Roscoe. Definately worth it.

You married? The reason I ask is you've got to start collecting the tips from off here so you can start explaining why you need the following:

A little "Juice" or other performance enhancing device. You may have to just do this one with some stashed away beer money or something. Wifes and sweethearts just don't understand (unless your forum name is DmaxDiva
)

I see you are a 4x4, so gonna need the Step Bars (if your sweety is a shorty this one's an easy sell).

Ah, also a Short Box I see. Yep, gonna need that Transfer Flow 45 gallon jobber and with the fast filler neck. My sweety hates filling up at those smelly truck stops so I am justifying the High Speed Filler Neck by telling her how fast we'll get out of there.

Splash guards are a pretty easy sell also if you just complain about all that dirt enough.

I'm still working on a good reason for a better (and probably louder) exhaust system.

Help Roscoe and I out here folks

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey gwmayes,

I see you have a Sunnybrook. I have a '98, 27' front kitchen. The DMAX tows it around like a toy.

Used to pull it with a Durango. It pulled pretty good but all those little red lights would come on by the time I got to the top of the mountains around here!

Both Sunnybrook and DMAX have been solid as could be.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Bob,

Without going into too much detail about the secondary filtration, the stock system has been tested to be very-substandard as far as fuel-filtration goes. our trucks require clean fuel, and the lovely USA has some of the dirtiest diesel around (especially compared to the UK). secondary filtration will make you fuel system components (injectors, pump, etc) much happier and promote longer component life. i for one bought my dmax for the long haul and clean fuel is one way to help you get there.

more info, as well as test data can be found here: www.nicktane.com/filter.htm .

Good Luck with the new truck!

Nick

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try http://www.transferflow.com for the fuel tank. I don't have one yet, but I have been checking them out lately. A bit expensive
, but I hear they are good setups.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, Transfer Flow shipped me one via Yellow Freight. Had to borrow the neighbors truck to go pick it up since I'd run the 26 gallon down to the fumes in preparation for the install. I installed it in my driveway in about 4 1/2 hours taking my good ole sweet time. Bet I could install the next one in, in, in about 1 1/2 hours, IF I had a 21-years-old to yell instructions to and hand wrenches to. I had a few pains for a few days after that one (age 59 here).

Two floor jacks work nicely for the install (to raise the tank into place). A piece of carpet to slide it under the truck. Don't bother with a jack for lowering the old one. Run it dry and that piece of plastic can't weigh 30#. Buy the fuel line disconnect tool (pieces of plastic actually) at Sears ($9). The tank comes with some split tubing (cheap home brew) to do this with, but is hard to use.

Installers around here wanted $500-$600 to do this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info.

I called today and asked "WHERE IS MY #$*!# TRUCK" Really I was calling to find out what the new deals were on cash back and % rate on the loan. Was told right now its 1000 cash and 4.9% for 60 mo. Not great, but I'll take the $1000.

Yes gwmayes I am married. Lucky for me the only thing she has ever said no to was a motorcycle, and she didn't say no, she said NFW! The 45 gal transferflow tank is a for sure thing as well as the large filler neck. Step bars were ordered OEM. Juice maybe down the road.

The truck will have less than 20 miles on it when the new fuel filter is installed.

Roscoe

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got the 45 gal Transfer Flow tank and can tow my 7.000, 27' trailer about 400 miles w/o refueling. You can go exploring those "way out of the way" places w/o worry of locating diesel. Best mod yet for my truck.

I went to their facility in Chico, CA for install at a special discount. Very nice plant and people. I had also checked out the Aero Tank tanks and facility close-by my home.

After what I saw, I decided to go with the Transfer Flow even though it was a 1,000 round-trip to get it installed.

All the Camping World locations are authorized installers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi Phil (Mr X),

I sorta stumbled into the Sunnybrook after paying $100 to join the RV Consumer Group. Man, those guys are really tight with there "*" ratings, and the Sunnys were getting 4 (out of 5) of them while most units were getting none to 1!! Had to drive up to Santa Fe to look at them. Haven't had one problem. And your right, the Duramax barely notices 9,000# back there.

George in Albuquerque

·
Registered
747 Posts
Roscoe said:

Can you feel my pain?

Any ideas?

I ordered my new truck last week and I am pretty anxious, so I can definitely understand what you are going through. I have read a lot about secondary filtration on tdp and gm-diesel and Nick will be getting an order from me in a couple of weeks for the filter setup. Thanks to all the guys for the great info on the dmax! I have been studying up for a long time and you guys have been a great amount of help!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts