Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just recently bought an 04.5 LLY. With this cold weather, the wait to start light has been staying on for 22seconds, then it turns over until the engine won't crank anymore, recycle the glow plugs, and repeat.

It has been to the dealership 2 times now...the final diagnosis is the red fuel (that was inadvertenly put in by a hired-hand) is gelling and causing no start issues. The wonderful dealership also told me the reason it starts when plugged in is because the block heater heats the fuel, thus ridding it of gelling. They also have no explanation as to why the truck runs great after it eventually starts without being plugged in.

So, it seems logical that the plugs or plug controller is not functioning properly...any ideas??

BTW, the 10 gallons of dyed that was added was a #2/#1 mix with Howe's additive added (cloud point near -40F)...go figure. All of this was also after we picked the truck up, drained the tank and added all new non-dyed fuel as per dealer demand!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Change the batteries?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did the dealer try changing the fuel filter and maybe flushing the whole fuel system? Maybe there's still some of the Red fuel in there and it's gelling up on you.
Gotta like those hired hands.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue is, that it is 100% not a gelling issue. My '05 has gelled 2 of the last 3 days. It's on its 3rd set of filters...a truck with gelled fuel will not run like this truck runs (after it finally starts, that is!!)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Ditto on the batteries. Not enough juice to get things cranking for a good start or to get the glow plugs going. When plugged in things turn over easier and the batteries don't have to work as hard.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
It should not take that long..my buddies truck did this and it ended up being his glow plug module...today it was 10 out and glow plug light only stayed on 3 seconds...just my two cents though..let me know if im right ..ok

·
Registered
321 Posts
skoryaro2;1583216; said:
Ditto on the batteries. Not enough juice to get things cranking for a good start or to get the glow plugs going. When plugged in things turn over easier and the batteries don't have to work as hard.
:exactly: Friends truck did almost the same thing and he had to have his batteries replaced. His glow plug light stayed on about 15 seconds and then would barley crank.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truck cranks very strong...will go through three cycles of cranking (30+ seconds) without a problem. Seems like the glow plug controller to me...I will let it sit out tonight with a battery charger and see what happens in the morning.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would say glow plug controller. My truck can sit outside all day in sub-zero temps and the wait-to-start light only stays on for about 6-8 seconds. Spin her over and she starts every time even at -15 to -20F.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Been -35C here this last week, and my glow plug light only stays on for about 5 seconds. Sounds like the controller may be the problem.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Would it be possible to switch the glow plug modules from your 05 to the 04.5? Just as a check before you start throwing parts at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts