Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to order some VR straps, when the foreman at work said he got a recall notice on his 2001 chevy company truck. Says it covers 2000-2004 and that they will replace the tailgate cables with new SS ones! Think I'll get a notice for my 2004?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, by late summer parts will be available and we will all be getting letters.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The new GM cables will still be cables. I would be much more comfortable with the straps. But if you don't want to spend the money then wait. Also is it worth the possibility of damaging your tail gate until GM finally gets around to you? Thats for you to decide.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
redneck45 said:
I was just about to order some VR straps, when the foreman at work said he got a recall notice on his 2001 chevy company truck. Says it covers 2000-2004 and that they will replace the tailgate cables with new SS ones! Think I'll get a notice for my 2004?

According to GM, trucks built after 10/03 already have the SS cables on them.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I got my letter late last week, and got the VR Stainless Steel straps in February

I think I am better off then anyone that use their truck and have the cables. (either type)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my letter about a week ago. I purchased VR straps before the letter. I like the straps much better than cables. I have seen many cables break on other vehicles but I never seen a SS strap break!!

I don't want to risk a damaged tailgate waiting for GM to get the "NEW" cables and do the install.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Trust GM on the cables....... NOT

I had the VR Straps on the GMC and wished they were available for my Dodge.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I might make the dealer give me a set of the new SS cables, but I'm not taking off the VR Straps for anything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ditto for me, Jim.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recieved the letter two days ago, but am considering the VR straps. I thought my neighbor knew of this problem, but yesterday he was sitting on his tailgate and the straps failed, small dent in the tailgate not to bad.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
JimWilson said:
I might make the dealer give me a set of the new SS cables, but I'm not taking off the VR Straps for anything.

I made that same coment a few weeks ago when the recall was first annonced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts