Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a small standard turbo with a wastegate that would bolt up inplace of the stock LLY VVT? All I need is a little charger that will make about 20 psi quickly that will spool up my big turbo quicker. Any suggestions? In a perfect world it would bolt right in.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Twins? Why not stick with the stock charger? It spools up relatively quick.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Is there a small standard turbo with a wastegate that would bolt up inplace of the stock LLY VVT? All I need is a little charger that will make about 20 psi quickly that will spool up my big turbo quicker. Any suggestions? In a perfect world it would bolt right in.
Sure the LB7 stock turbo:ro)

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Twins? Why not stick with the stock charger? It spools up relatively quick.
It has a lot of backpressure even trimmed to full bypass MP

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
True, never through of that. You can buy a stock LB7 charger and it should bolt up. Just get EFI live to ignore the codes and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, at least I have other options, I haven't made back to Montreal to get my back-pressure issues sorted out, via the Wester's tune. I know Lydon can control the VVT, and the EFI gang is adding boost. Also with the LLY Twins some guys like Sp33d have added a Wastegate to the VVT to gain control(via IdahoeCTD). I don't know of anyone who has reduced boost with EFI Live or how well it will behave. The Trick is to have the quickness of a small charger to get the big fella spinning, without the back-pressure restricting the big one while it feeding through the little one.

Any one with a stock LB7 charger they don't need?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Keep an eye in the ForSale section. 2-3 have sold within the last month from single-charger upgrades.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LB7 charger will bolt up, but the plumbing will have to change.

Wastegate is the way to go on our VVT turbo.
I didn't think of that, I would probley need to change almost all of the plumbing:(

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You know, the more i think of how a VVT turbo works the more I think it won't work well in this application. I can see why you are having problems. I think you would be much further ahead with a convetntional turbo.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I bought my kit it was the 1 of 10 in the first run of kits, the fit and finish is perfect, and it's tight quarters for the twins. Some of these kits have been converted to a wastegate system. That didn't come out until after mine were installed, and I live so far from IdahoeCTD to get the wastgate install that really wasn't really an option. Wester will be my solution with the control that Lyndon has over the VVT. Knowing what I know now the simplest way would be to get a used LB7 turbo and get a hybrid kit for the plumbing to hook everything up. I'm not sure if you could just order a LB7 kit and buy a used LB7 turbo and mount it on a LLY?

Don't get me wrong I know this system will work, It just taking longer to work out the bugs.

Also for anyone planing on installing the Twins, here is a couple of suggestions : Install headstuds when your getting the kit installed, If you like bling have you stock and big turbo exhaust housings ceramic coated before the go on ( keeps away the rusties), buy a prefilter for the AFe these things suck so much are the filter life is reduced, also plan on changing you oil every 3500miles if you tow. and get two 60 psi boost gauges, with the head studs you want to crankup the boost.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
My twin system is using the stock VVT without wastegate. I think the same as yours ZR.

My set-up runs great with over the counter boxes, I have no problems or complaints. VVT gives very quick spool-up and no lag. Runs very strong and has more HP than people thought this system could make. Is the system perfect, no, but for our applications its very good.

Is a LB7 twin set-up capable of more HP than a non wastegated VVT set-up, I think yes. Is LB7 set-up more capable than a LLY wastegated set-up, not sure.

That being said, I'm putting a wastegate on my truck in the next couple of weeks to help with the drive pressure problem. I imagine EFI or a custom tuner could command the vanes to open at a certain psi, and get the VVT out of the way.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means on the inner working of these systems. Most of my feedback is from driving my truck daily, reading books on the subject, and listening to knowledgable experts.

Rob

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just talked to Trannytom today and he was tell me that Lyndon has cracked the VVT codes and now can change the boost level on my stock turbo. Next month my truck will be going back to Montreal to get the headstuds install, try some more software, hopefully some secret squirl fuel supply improvments(hopefully) and some prototype tranny software...I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I just talked to Trannytom today and he was tell me that Lyndon has cracked the VVT codes and now can change the boost level on my stock turbo. Next month my truck will be going back to Montreal to get the headstuds install, try some more software, hopefully some secret squirl fuel supply improvments(hopefully) and some prototype tranny software...I can hardly wait!
FYI You can do that with EFI LIve as well.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI You can do that with EFI LIve as well.
Yes I'v been reading about what EFI can do, but I already have the Wester tune and Trannytom and Lyndon ( the experts) are will to work out the best tune for me, I don't feel I'm ready to do it on my own yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.