Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install my Alpine system back in my C4500. The GPS requires a wire going to VSS. Have no Idea. Can anyone advise on the main wiring harness, which wire and location for the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's for an 04' Kodiak.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but you can likely find it behind the instrument cluster. It will most likely be green/white.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Max,

·
Registered
710 Posts
The body builders connector inside the right frame rail behind the cab has a VSS output on pin "A". It is calibrated at 128,000 pulses per mile. Splicing into the harness for the VSS signal can cause all sorts of problems. You can use this link for the Body Builders Manuals. Page C-1 in the Electrical Manual has the pin outs for the connector.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/md_2006.htm

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
No it won't cause all sorts of problems unless it shorts out or something. It is done all the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The existing radio harness should have a VSS circuit, shouldn't it? Unless the truck came radio delete, but even then I think the harness is there.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I'm not sure if that is the case on a medium duty truck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
No it won't cause all sorts of problems unless it shorts out or something. It is done all the time.
.....and warranty on electrical is denied by GM all the time because the customer cut and spliced into the harness. Why chance it if there is a upfitter circuit designed for this type of use? I'm not doubting you haven't seen any problems doing that Maxpower, but why take that chance when there is already a circuit for a VSS signal easily available?

While you might be able to get away with this type of "modification" on the Light Duty product, there is considerably more chance of something going wrong on the Medium Duty.

My recomendation would be to use the circuits designed into the vehicle! :rant:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I splice into factory harnesses for a living. I have never had warranty denied or even the threat of it. There is no chance being taken. Done properly you wouldn't even know it was tehre.

I will take the VSS speed signal at the Intrument cluster 1000 times over rather then run the wire out to the frame where there are 100 places more for it to rub through. Firewall, frame rail etc etc.

You are tapping into the same wire at different places. Now if something required a vss signal outside the cab on the frame or something I would totally agree with you.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I truly believe that my practice is the best in this situation and you won't be able to change my mind on that. I am speaking from 15 years of experience in the automotive electronics/electrical trade. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
127 Posts
wires

Max, we will agree to dissagree, G.M. put upfitter connections on the medium dutys to make it easier toadd all the stuff they do.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
They could have at least put them in better places. :D IN the cab would be nice for a VSS signal.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Looking at my 2002 Helms manual for the 2500/3500, this says color is Dark Green/White. Supplies signal to radio, BCM, cruise control module, (gasser?), and instrument panel.
Not sure about your 4500.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The GMT-560 is a totally different beast. :exactly:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Max,

Do you do alot of work on the medium duty trucks? There are quite a few differences between the pickups and the medium duty series.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Not lots but some. Electrical is electrical ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max it was were you said it was and the GPS system works fine.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
da-Max rules!

·
Registered
177 Posts
So is the wire indeed a green/white? I have been waiting for a verification that this is the wire before I tear my dash apart. Is the wire coming out of the back of the speedo?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is The Vss The Same Colors On A 06 Kodiak. The Wire Is Behind The Gauge Cluster Right?. I Need To Find The Speed Pulse For My Navigation. Thanks

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
yes

Pin B14 Dark Green/white (dark green with a white stripe)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts