Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heard from my vendor today. I'll have these in hand tomorrow evening. I saw a sample piece today and I have to say I'm impressed. The #4 finish I requested is quite nice(makes Hoot's look like home made, oh wait they were
)

Anyhow I plan to finish them up over the weekend and mail them out as the checks come in.

I've also requested a quote for an additional 50 sets next time since I've seem to left many people hanging(PUN INTENDED). They also gave me a 5 day lead time next run, so I guess they really like repeat business.

I'm also going to set up a PayPal account for the next run. There's a 3% surcharge which I'll add to the price of these, but $1.38 doesn't seem so unreasonable for those choosing to go that route.

Please, if you send a check write down your screen name as well. I'm having a heck of a time keeping track of who's who, since I'm trying to keep people informed as to the fact that I've received the check, will be mailing soon, etc.

I just hope the people that get these like these and find them useful. My low self esteem couldn't handle 1500 users bashing me

On edit: I like the finish of the steel so much I'm thinking about quoting in an etched VR or VR Strap into the material when finished.
Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
612 Posts
sounds great ..
.. looking forward to getting a set

Jim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So am I, just can't decide at the moment whether or stay with my personal made proto's for nostalga or a laser cut pretty set????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stupid question.
I've seen a few threads about this, but what the heck is a VR Strap? I can't seem to figure it out or find it anywhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
rp43fan said:
Stupid question.
I've seen a few threads about this, but what the heck is a VR Strap? I can't seem to figure it out or find it anywhere.

Likewise, what the hell are you talking about?

Remember rp43fan,
there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. <--- just messin' with ya'

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
rp43fan: Maybe this will help:

See further details in the "Hoot's Got a Set" thread

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, yeah, VR Straps
. thanks.
Why? Is there something wrong with what's on the truck now that I don't know about it? Sorry, not being sarcastic here. I'm already scared to death to put fuel in the truck, overwhelmed about additives (do, don't, use this kind, use that kind) and secondary filters. Is my tailgate gonna fall off now too?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL,

No your tailgate won't fall off. A few people that use their tailgates extensively have had one or both cables break on them. As a pet project I'm making some stainless steel 'old style' straps.

I'm not fear mongering people here. I use my gate a lot and didn't want to risk a snapped cable damaging my tailgate so I designed some corrosion resistant replacements. I then decided to offer them up to others.

These won't make your gate uber strong either, but these won't fray and rust like the factory cable, and are completely visible so they can be inspected on a regular basis. Also I used a Clevis pin for the hinge so should heavy wear occur, you can run to your local hardware store and buy a new pin without having to buy a new set each time.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
rp43fan said:
Oh, yeah, VR Straps
. thanks.
Why? Is there something wrong with what's on the truck now that I don't know about it? Sorry, not being sarcastic here. I'm already scared to death to put fuel in the truck, overwhelmed about additives (do, don't, use this kind, use that kind) and secondary filters. Is my tailgate gonna fall off now too?
They break pretty easy and deteriorate over time.

Snapped mine loading a plow into the bed...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I think Hoot just abuses his truck, propane, juiced, wrestles with trees.

·
Registered
448 Posts
rp43fan said:
Oh, yeah, VR Straps
. thanks.

Actually it may, mine did on my 95 K3500. My father was driving it with the tailgate open and the right cable broken. When he went over the RR tracks apparently the tailgate bounced open about half way, the right side slid off and it was drug down the road a short ways held by the left cable
To add insult to injury the wires were torn loose from the lights that in 95 were on the tailgate and not underneath them. Of course you'd have to know my father. He's the type that tore off the drivers door on the F250 he had by not getting it completly in drive when he got out of the truck after driving it into the barn.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I've had the prototypes on few a couple of weeks.

No issues. Pretty much out of site, out of mind but I feel a heck of a lot more confident when I load my Wheel Horse onto it in the spring. This summer I was sweatin bullets riding up the ramps with it, looking at the cables taking the full weight.

For anybody that uses ramps to load equipment I wouldn't go without the straps. This may sound like a sales pitch... It's not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for all the answers, guys. Another thing for me to consider. Although I don't think I opened the tailgate on my last truck more than 8-10 times in 3 years. Don't do any serious hauling of stuff back there. Usually the kids just climb over the back and/or scratch up the top bed rails

You'll probably be getting more stupid questions from me on issues with this truck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There are no stupid questions, rp43fan, and there are plenty of people here that have "been there done that" and willing to share information.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even though I'm the one peddling these, I don't consider these a must have for everyone. I agree with Hoot, these are geared more for constant users of their gates than anything.

The straps are ok in theory, but GM should've used a more corrosion resistant material which is the weak spot of these. Aircraft cable is quite strong, but the constant flexing, bending, stretching and corrosion all add to it's potential for failure. Once one strand breaks or weakens, the rest have to take up the load, over time the stress causes more failure until the point that they eventually snap. I assume Dodge and Ford have similiar failures as well.

Until a better alternative is available, I'll continue to offer these to users at the lowest cost I can. I'm not preying upon people's fears and trying to profit off it. If I remember correctly a set of these in a better material is roughly $15 more shipped to your door than what a dealer gets(Dmaxallitech, sells replacement cables cheaper than your local dealer though if you're not in a bind for replacements).

Also after picking up the pieces yesterday, the math of the vendors stock made me 55 upper and 58 lower pieces. This means I've got 2 extra sets I can sell off this first batch. So if you missed out on the first run, and still want a set ASAP, PM here. This is a first come first serve(or maybe the highest bidders I need to line my pockets
)

YES THAT WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you dont hear back from me with a contact information that means they're gone already.

I also want some feedback for the second run.

Would everyone left rather use a PayPal setup and pay the $1.38 extra comission fee?

Would you be willing to prepay 2 or 3 weeks early, which would allow me to collect orders and have the pieces made so that next time you can get a set and not be told sold out?

I'm asking because it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to keep with everyone. Since I'm not a business by any means I'm trying to streamline this for ease.

·
Registered
161 Posts
PayPal would work for me. I would also be more than willing to pay up front. I'm not worried about you leaving for Mexico or anything.
Then you wouldn't have to pay out so much up front from your own money to get them made. If you have fifty sets made, you are held for the $2,000 or so bucks out of your pocket until the money comes in.

It's no emergency, but I do want a set, and would have no problem paying you by PayPal up front.

Thanks for all this work,

Steve

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got 18 of the 24 checks I'm waiting on so in the morning it's off to the bank.

Plans are to go into work in the morning and make as many sets as I can and begin the mailing of these on Monday. I'm not sure how long it'll take via the Post Office with the holidays the next two weeks but I expect everyone to see them before the first of the year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts