Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some careful consideration and some more thought I'm going to put the second run on hold until further notice.

When I started this project it was more of a fun, can I do this, thing. Then when I began to show them off I got a lot of response about whether or not I would market these.

It was a good feeling knowing that I could offer up something that people thought was a good idea and wanted. Response has been phenomonal and the support from the users during this time has also been top notch.

Now that I've sent out the initial batch and started to look at making these for people that missed out, the liability issue popped into my head again. A few people here and there I wrote off as a small risk.

In a mass production scenario, my family and personal assets become a larger risk due to the lawsuit happy lawyers that convince people to get what they can.

This being a very small profit/personal gain endeavor I'm just not sure if I wish to proceed further at this point without pursuing deeper what I need to protect myself and family.

I think most of the people here that have followed my threads closely know that I did this as an alternative to a mediocre offering by GM. Well I'm not GM nor do I have the funds to fight a drawn out lawsuit should something go wrong with a set of these and someone get injured or worse.

I'm not a business entity, just a guy with a family that had an idea.

I don't think it's wise to proceed at this point without further investigating the possibility of being held liable for something gone wrong.

I need a little time to sort this through before I mass market these.

Rick

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does this I should ignore your Email?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes for the time being please don't send me anything in the form of a payment until I decide how and whether to proceed further.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
It is sad that you can't just make these like you want. I think it's a good move on your part to not sell them until you can either set up a LLC or something to protect your ass.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is the more that get out there the more likely there is a chance for something to go wrong. I'm not outright going to abandon this project at this point.

I'm basically going to sit down with a small business attorney again and get some more advice as to what I need to do.

I just hope it isn't too cost prohibitive to make these replacements so pricey that it won't be worth a new startup.

·
Registered
463 Posts
How about a disclaimer of liability, or a waiver that prospective buyers must sign?

I was going to order a set today!

That's the story of my life...A day late and a dollar short!

Kevin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Rick

I hear you when people spew garbage like their innocent trying to help, but in reality they fear any and all competition ,they get the think tank working ....

The best thing is if these individuals attempt to pirate your idea at least you have shown your attempt first to bring to market ....

I'd be willing to sign a waiver of all liabilty to the manufacture same way Edge products does .... Ask an attorney it maybe as simple as that ...

Mac

·
Registered
687 Posts
A simple liability waiver would eliminate all risk to your family and personal assets. It is a sad day when we need to think of that first, rather than just helping a fellow out, but that is the climate we live in. It is so bad that I will rarely stop to offer help to a stranded fellow as long as I see that they have a cell in their ear. I worry (usually after the fact) about starting CPR or pulling someone out of a ditch because they could come right after me....personally.

I will gladly sign a liability waiver. Do what is right for your comfort levels though.

Matt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I totally understand your position on this matter and will gladly sign a liability waiver if that is your future dicision. Hope things work out for the best...keep the faith!!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I'm not sending mine back.... no way

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do what ever you need to do to protect yourself and get these to market.

I am glad to wait until you have whatever arrangement makes you comfortable.

NitroPopPop

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hoot said:
I'm not sending mine back.... no way

Damn, why didnt I get in on the first batch.

hoot, would you take double the price j/k

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Everyone,

I spoke with a lawyer type today about becoming a corporate entity. It seems at as early as Wednesday of this week I can be a business detached from personal asset liability. In essence this means, I can market these, sell them not as Rick, but as a company name. Should the worst happen and someone get hurt(which is something I hope never to happen, not because of profit, but basically because I'm trying to do something good for the community) is that the corporation will get sued forcing it to go bankrupt should that happen.

Anyhow I'll have to set up a business bank account(not a big deal) get some numbers together and what not. If all goes well within 1 to 2 weeks I'll be up and running again and well protected. So hold onto your cash for a little while longer and these will soon be available to you again.

Thank You.

On a side note I had one person e-mail me privately stating he's glad he found out I'm not a man of my word and that he's glad he found out sooner than later.

So can anyone here explain to me how I've gone back on my word in any way? Sure there have been delays, but who in my situation wouldn't have done the same thing??

Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Victory Red said:
On a side note I had one person e-mail me privately stating he's glad he found out I'm not a man of my word and that he's glad he found out sooner than later.

So can anyone here explain to me how I've gone back on my word in any way? Sure there have been delays, but who in my situation wouldn't have done the same thing??

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone who want's to know that you are indeed a man of your word, and your straps are great.

I do think what you're going to do is a really good idea and the e-mail you got proves that there are people out there who would try to take advantage of a situation.

Go for it, you just might have come up with something that will not only be valuable to folks, but make you some coin as well.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Victory Red said:

I think your question is rhetorical, Rick. You have been above and beyond forthcoming and honest in the whole process. Sounds like one person that you DO NOT want to do business with, and thank them most sincerely for letting you know in advance that you will not have to!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Rick,

It's all part of business. You have to thicken your skin a little to be successful. Don't pay much attention to the few negatives you get. They are inevitable. Some people can never be satisfied as TDP told me in my farewell note.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Well Rick if nothing else you now have further confirmation for your move to a corporate entity. It's guys like that (the e-mail you spoke of) that will be first in line to try some sort of litigation should something go wrong. My sister was just like that...I want it now, you said you would....whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Of course she was 3 at the time

Remember, don't sweat the small stuff, and everything is small stuff.

JP

·
Registered
398 Posts
Victory Red said:

Hope you get going on these, I really want A set.

As far as the above Email you recived from this guy, stick it the trash where it should be!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Victory Red said:

I think your question is rhetorical, Rick. You have been above and beyond forthcoming and honest in the whole process. Sounds like one person that you DO NOT want to do business with, and thank them most sincerely for letting you know in advance that you will not have to!

WTH!!!

You are doing this on your own accord, trying to help where there is a need, making minimal profit and someone bust you chops???? Some people have brass ones I guess.

Through the few e-mails I have swapped with you and other conversations on this forum, I had no problem blindly sending you the $50. just to have my name on the list, but you insisted on waiting until you were ready.

I agree and think the comment was way off base and you should be glad you wont have to deal with him in a business manner, at least, “I” would not, even if he offered you triple the cost.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think they'll be a bargain at twice the price, and twice the wait too!

To your confused e-mailer: WTF!........................Over. I have not yet had any business dealings with Rick (I will as soon as he starts taking more orders), but I hope everyone I deal with in the future is as above board and honest as he is.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 89 Posts