Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the vortec max (6.0) in the 1500 trucks. I am contemplating buying one as a work truck and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
get an 8.1 best engine ever plus for a work truck it's way better than a 6.0

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I have a buddy that bought one and returned it to the dealer within 1 week. He said it was an awful disapointment. He traded it in for and 06 LBZ and hasn't stopped smiling since.

I had a 02 6.0L non max 300 h.p. motor and traded it 9 months later for my 03 LB7, best desicion I ever made. I got 4-5 miles to gallon pulling and 10 (city) and 13 (freeway). My truck gets worst tank now of 13 with 37" tires in town with my foot in a lot and pulls my trailer faster and gets 9 -10 going 75. Like I said, best decision I ever made.

If I was getting a gasser, I would get the 8.1L too, better trans and about the same mileage, jmo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm referring to the 6.0 in the 1500, so the 8.1 is not an option. This will be a second truck, so I'm thinking I want to stick with the 1500. Just curious, what was it that was so dissapointing about the truck? Just trying to get an idea if I should pay extra for the Vortec Max, or stick with the 5.3.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
When I talked to him about it he said he was dissapointed in the power and the fuel economy, he gave no specific numbers though. He said it was nice truck other wise. I appologize for hijaking the thread with my complaints about the 6.0, but I think if all you use it for is daily driver at least it a GM and it will probably serve you well. He lives one street over and I will talk to him some more about it and get back to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddy has the Vortec Max. He says he'll beat stock HEMI's all day long and it gets decent mileage..16 to 20Mpg. Pretty sure it's the same motor that's been in the Escalade for a couple years now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Doesn't it require premium gas?

The 9.5 rear axle is a plus though

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test drove one before I bought my 06 D-max and I was pretty impressed. Very nice truck and it had plenty of snap. I didnt romp on it too hard cause the salesman was with us, and the roads were slick, but it definately had more sack from a rolling start to ~40 mph than my '00 5.3 1500 and my '02 6.0 2500 had. I really liked the auto adjusting for reverse mirrors!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good Luck, Tried to buy an 06
As per several local dealers

( note: GM site , only replies, msg received )

1500: biggest engine 5.3, and only wimpy std shift
if you can get it,

1500HD: only 6.0 and no std shift and no LB

2500HD: 6.0 , no std shift, option and only 4.1 gears
must get dmax or 8.1 for std shift
no 5.3 available

If above is incorrect, please post where I can get info;

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Just prepped a 2006 Denali Pickup and it had the VORTECMAX and I was very surprised. That things RIPS. Impressive engine, but I'd rather have my LLY and LBZ.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good Luck, Tried to buy an 06
As per several local dealers

( note: GM site , only replies, msg received )

1500: biggest engine 5.3, and only wimpy std shift
if you can get it,

1500HD: only 6.0 and no std shift and no LB

2500HD: 6.0 , no std shift, option and only 4.1 gears
must get dmax or 8.1 for std shift
no 5.3 available

If above is incorrect, please post where I can get info;

The 2500HD and the 3500 with the 6.0 is available with the the NV4500 HD 5-speed. Only the 8.1 or the Dmax can get the ZF-6 speed. The 4.10 gear is perfect with 285 tires.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I just talked to my neighbor this afternoon and I was wrong, he said he traded it in because of the Autoride rear shocks. He said if you loaded the bed with more than 200 lbs. it felt like it would bottom out going over bumps, real harsh impact feeling. He said the truck had great power and loved the interior. Sorry about giving wrong feedback.:sorrysign

·
Registered
156 Posts
Last weekend I drove a new Sierra Crew Cab Short Bed equipped with the Vortec Max 6.0L and a 4.10 rear end. First off, that thing flat moves. The salesman didn't come along with me and the wife, so I wailed on it a little bit. It doesn't have the instant snap of a new Titan, but it builds speed in a damn hurry. It was weird being in a truck identical to my DMax that rode so close (relatively) to the ground, and that made it seem even faster.

Another neat thing was how small the truck felt. The 1500 crew cabs come with a shorter box than you can get on a 1500HD or bigger truck, along with a shorter wheelbase. It turned on a dime. I weaved through parked cars in the dealer parking lot just for fun. I wish my DMax was so nimble.

The sticker on the window of this loaded SLT 4x4 (leather, sunroof, bose, every option) was $39K. I paid less than that for my diesel last June with all the same options less the sunroof (which I hated because there is no sunshade and the sun was right in my eyes the whole ride). I think I'll wait a year for a good used one...

·
Registered
39 Posts
My buddy has the Vortec Max. He says he'll beat stock HEMI's all day long and it gets decent mileage..16 to 20Mpg. Pretty sure it's the same motor that's been in the Escalade for a couple years now.
OK, now that is a real stretch- 20 mpg???????????

If that is a realistic figure, they have made some incredible improvements in the 6.0L since I owned one a couple of years ago. I never saw anything close to that and I do not have a heavy foot.

John

·
Registered
318 Posts
OK, now that is a real stretch- 20 mpg???????????

If that is a realistic figure, they have made some incredible improvements in the 6.0L since I owned one a couple of years ago. I never saw anything close to that and I do not have a heavy foot.

John

I'm not sure I buy 20mpg, but the 6.0 is bound to get better mileage in a half ton than it would in a 2500 or 3500 due to wieght and aerodynamics.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
ya that is the only reason my dad went to a dmax was because the 300hp 6.0 only got 12mpg and it didn't matter how you drove it. heck it got 10mpg pulling our 31.5 foot fifth wheel from NW ohio to washington DC. through the PA hills.

that thing had awesome power, but just lacked fuel economy. i don't know about the new motor though. if it is the same motor as in the caddie, it comes closer as the caddies always seem to get great milage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Only way you can get a max in a 1/2 ton is in a completely loaded crew cab with the tiny bed. If you could get one in an ext cab with the standard bed and a lower trim option I would buy one. Just can't see a useless bed and a bunch of useless options just to get the drive train. Another foolish marketing scheme from the general.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, you can get the Vortec Max in both extended and crew cab. You can also get it with the Lt1 package and higher. I am currently considering a ext cab Lt1 that I have located.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts