Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my voltmeter just died. It stated reading 9 volts. I thought the alternator was gone, pulled it out and had it tested. Tested good. After installing old alternator, gauge showed 12 volts. Then needle just stayed at 14 volts after turning out key. After starting truck again, needle went to just over 19 volts and stayed there. After starting truck again, needle went way pass 19 to roughly 24 volts, off the scale, and stays there. Using my multi-tester I get 12 volts not running and 14 volts running. This sounds about right. May get a cheap voltmeter that plugs into lighter till I get voltmeter fixed. Has anyone had the happen to them? Thanks, John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, I would say your voltmeter. Around 14 should be the reading when charging (running). I dont think your batteries or anything else would last very long w/ 24 volts going to them. I guess I hope its your voltmeter?

·
Registered
123 Posts
You do only have a 12v system right? Not a 24v?

·
Registered
684 Posts
he states that he has tested the voltage at the batterys and the voltage there is normal.

my guess would be the resister in the guage is bad I had this happen with one of my older trucks, new guage fixed it. call GM and ask

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, now that I know voltmeter is bad, can I just replace it or do I have the buy the whole cluster? Also any sources for replacement gauge out there that will match stock gauge? I would think a replacement gauge from a dealer will be pricey. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

·
Registered
684 Posts
not sure where you can find them, I think there about 120 bucks form the stealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts