Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum and have a question. When I start my truck, the volt meter starts out low...say 11 volts, then slowly goes up as I drive. If I drive it awhile, stop somewhere and restart it, it goes up to normal. NOW, on my 93 K2500HD gas beast, my volt meter goes right up to normal as soon as I start it. Is this normal for a diesel? It seems to run fine, no lights or warnings. It has 21k on it and runs awesome....

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Intake air heater...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Normal - same on my LBZ, on my LLY, and on my LB7.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...I assumed it was OK, just was curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gosh yours onl goes down to 11 Amps or so, my 2006 will drop to 8 AMPS or so but come up in a minute or so if not sooner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad you posted this cause I was about to ask the same thing.Tileman2003, the intake air heater causes that much of a draw?

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
When you first start the truck, there are 3 major amp drawing events: glow plugs, intake air heater, and the starter. Add to this it's often dark so the lights are on too. That's why the volt meter drops for a few minutes while the alternator is recharging the batteries and running the air heater (plus what ever else on like lights, heater, etc.).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Tom...Guess I really never thought of that...Thanks for the info. Never noticed it in Florida when i picked it up, it was sunshine, daylight, and 80 degrees!!!:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've noticed my lights dim for a couple minutes and the volt meter around 11-12 and then it suddenly comes up. The glow plugs and starter wouldn't cause that sudden change. I'm not sure what the air heater is but whatever causes it suddenly turns off.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Gosh yours onl goes down to 11 Amps or so, my 2006 will drop to 8 AMPS or so but come up in a minute or so if not sooner.

I looked at mine after reading your post, pkieckhaus. Temp outside was 25F and the voltmeter stayed at about 11v until it moved on up. Also, my voltmeter starts at 9v so if you are only seeing something below the bottom of the needle, you really need to have your batteries individually load tested and all connections checked for tightness. You have a problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts