Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my D/A was new and I would start it on a cool/cold morning/afternoon, the "ampmeter" would dip a little bit. Now when I start it the needle drops to about 10-11 volts.

It eventually comes back up after 30-45 seconds. But the drop in voltage usually causes my Alpine CD Changer to drop out because of the low voltage. i have to turn it off then back on to get it to work.

The "stealer" says unless it drops to the red zone they aren't worried. Of course not, it's not their truck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm sure Eric will agree with that dealer. Their are heaters invovled at startup that hold the voltage low for a little while after start up. Mine does the same thing yours does. It's normal.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Larry is dead on. When the truck is cold, depending on outside/coolant temp, alot of loads are placed on an engine. The glowplugs, fuel heater, and air heater along with the normal loads like lights and such. Add this to the fact that the alt does not put out much at idle. Just make sure of the basics, the cables are clean and tight, the belt is in good shape, etc. If you find it to be getting worse, I would mention it again to the dealer, ask them to perform a charging system test in which they should test both batteries and the alt output.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you again.

This site is worth every penny I paid. I will watch it.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mine does it. No problems in 60,000 miles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts