Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with volant air intakes.?They look high quality and i have been looking into buying a cold air intake so i was curious if volant makes a good one to put on my truck.

· Registered
66 Posts
A little bit of a pain changing filter ( kind of tight) but other than that nice and easy install, never any trouble. I noticed a slight mileage increase with it and the exhaust. I sold my volant and put on a Banks Ram Air, but I can't tell the difference between the two performance wise.

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks i think ill buy a volant just to try it out. I dont think intake can really impact your truck a huge amount so its not a big deal just to try stuff out.

· Registered
234 Posts
I had the ram air volant intake on my 6.0L powerstroke and it was top notch by far the best aftermarket setup for the ford.

· Registered
420 Posts
save your money and do the airbox mod from PPE. Unless your making 500hp you dont need a coldair intake. GM makes a good intake starting in 2006.

· Registered
210 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok but i thought if your bringin colder air in the engine when the fuel mixes with it and it burns, it burns more effeciently and brings more power. Doesnt an aftermarket intercooler kinda do the same thing?

· Registered
210 Posts
Ok but i thought if your bringin colder air in the engine when the fuel mixes with it and it burns, it burns more effeciently and brings more power. Doesnt an aftermarket intercooler kinda do the same thing?
When you do the ppe airbox mod, you bring in coldair around the headlight,, first thing you do after pulling the box is remove a flap behind the headlight.

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So does the ppe airbox mod make a significant difference than not having an aftermarket intake?

· Registered
234 Posts
this question has possibly been asked before but the test on the air filters was done at a stock CFM level correct? I would be curious to see how a stock/400RWHP/500RHWP intake CFM would be compared from a stock intake/PPE mod intake/aftermarket intake. I have heard the 'stock intake is good till 500hp' term used very broadly. Was this determined on a good ole boy guess, or based on flow data determined from what a 500RWHP engine would require?

· Registered
568 Posts
Reviving an old thread here... but I just found my OEM air filter box is cracked in two places and the box is not secure on the mounting plate. I saw that Volant makes a CAI that uses a Donaldson PowerCore filter. This is the same material as the OEM blue filter. So I ordered the Volant 15066 CAI with the Donaldson filter, looks like a fun install for me post Independence Day!

Is anyone else running this Volant PowerCore CAI?

· Registered
568 Posts
Finally got around to this install after a month long shipping delay.

Very nice product, form fit function is excellent. No problems with the install but had two slight hang ups. There is one screw that secures the air box cover that is basically inaccessible with a screwdriver. It should be a stud. Volant cuts out a slot in the lid to accommodate this screw, but there is really no way to tighten it as the coolant reservoir blocks access to the screw. Second issue is attaching the filter to the intake tube. The tube end is very smooth and I was having problems getting the filter boot to hold onto the tube. There is a very small window of orientation that appeared to work. I will be checking it often for the next few weeks to ensure its still attached.

Overall, no noticeable difference in turbo spool or whistle. Seems to be a nice option for replacing the stock box (mine was cracked) with a system that offers OEM filtration media and a great looking air intake.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.