Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially placed a topic under "loss of power", and I have found a Chevy Dealer, who may have pinpointed the problem but they are not sure. I have a bad Mass flow sensor, and a fuel pump that is putting out too much pressure. Here is the rub, the Chevy Factory Rep stated that since I had a K&N filter installed, they would not warranty the Mass flow sensor, and since I once had performance software installed (Hypertech), that Chevy would not honor their warranty, and they have issued new bulletins to their dealers stating so. Has anyone else had this problem, and if the rep is just side stepping the responsibility, do any of you have something I can show the factory rep. Thanks to all.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Are you at 1fatcats dealer? (sorry fatcat I couldn't resist). The magnuson-moss act is all you have. It basically states they have to prove your mod.caused the exact failure. If it did, well you know the rest. Do not be afraid to go to small claims court or get a lawyer. You should start buy being a little pushy with the dealer. K&N give me a break!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Basically they need to show what you did caused the damage. Sometimes an over-oiled aftermarket air filter will deposit a film on the MAF sensor wires. Maybe it only needs a cleaning. I'm not sure but the bad MAF could be telling the ECM to raise pressure.

Anyway, I done see how a performance program could hurt your hp pump. The rail pressure control valve couold be causing the pump to go off. They are known to go bad. I had one replaced. I would try another dealer and be prepared to answer to them with as much as you can find out here. Not all dealers are so "tight"

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Try cleanig the MAF with alcohol or contact cleaner... this has happened to a few people and they've been able to just clean it up and get it working...

Ox

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a buddy with a 2002 F**D Powerjoke going thru nearly the same thing. After running a K&N for a short time ( the stealership noticed it during routine maint. ), He switched back to factory air filters. 30,000 miles later, #8 cylinder is washed out and turbo fan edges are worn. You think the Stealership remembered that he was ( heavy on the was ) a good customer ? Nope, they remembered the K&N filter in his truck ! So Sorry, No Warranty ! By the way, You need a new $10K engine !

I told him not to buy a F**D !
And NO, I haven't said I TOLD YOU SO . NO, Really !!

Thorco69, I really hope you have better luck with GM !

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
R U tellin me my K&N could void my warranty? They are on the shelve at the auto store with the rest of the filters. They are crossrefernced in the book. They are one of the best filters know to mankind. Just ask a baja 500 participant! K&N needs to renegotiate witht he big 3 or start putting a warning label on ther filter boxes. What a joke! I would tell the dealers to jump off a cliff. There has to be more going on here than meets the eye.

·
Registered
692 Posts
whats the code set for the mass air flow. i am a tech an beteave ther is a reprogram to correct false codes that may lead to maf sensor.i have seen k/n installs set check engine lights. and your pump should be warranty these are know to over fuel. i just replaced one today.
if they keep telling you to pound sand take it to another dealer.....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You're supposed to find the "other dealer" before the factory tech rep gets involved. Unless he goes a long way out, it's going to be the same tech rep at the next dealer. If there is going to be any kind of significant work done, I think the tech rep will have to know about it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, K&N is one of the best filters you can use for increased air flow and associated increased power. However, all they stop from getting into your engine are the really big rocks. Sure, racers use them but they aren't all that interested in engine life. I saw some tests on gas engines a few years ago. Air flow was greatly increased with the K&N but at the cost of wear on the engine. Makes sense to me. I can't imagine a significant increase in volume with a filter that will stop smaller particles. UNIFilter seemed to be the best compromise. Air flow almost as good as the K&N but with much better filtration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats odd that the dealership would void the warranty due to having a K&N on the truck. I wonder what my dealership would say since the parts department has a K&N display set up & sells them!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My dealership sells the K&N filter kit for our dmax's.... I would push the issue a little harder....you'll get it covered. I went through a similar thing when my front diff went out (and I have 315's on my truck)....don't be an as%, but be persistant.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Thats crap about K&N filtration abilaty. It is a very good filter period. Big stuff only, my butt. I have put countless hours on my Bronco at the Sandunes. I take my motors apart myself. No extra wear from dirt. The baja 500 puts all kinds of dirt particles in the air. From micrscopic to clauds. Same as the sand dunes or a country road for that mattter. K&N works just fine. If you over oil one or damage the gauze then you did not follow the instructions! The oil on the filter traps more dirt than you could ever imagine! I am sorry for the tone, it just makes me a little peeved to hear a warranty being voided by an air cleaner that is sold in the parts dept. It also makes me mad to hear people tell you a K&N will not work just so they can sell you there version. Rant Out!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
thorco69, don't let them blow smoke up your rear end, If I were you I would be calling K&N and talking to someone there, make sure you have paper and pencil and write down the time and phone# of everyone you talk too, then take your truck to a good garage that has good mechanics and have them go over it, and have them write up a report, then your next step is small claims court, you do not need an attorney to do this, they will give you the papers to fill out, your going to file against your dealer and also GM, its going to cost you a small amount to file these charges, make sure you have the name and address of your dealer (and Owner) your also going to need the name and address of GM or GMCs Head Corporate office, then you will get a notice in the mail telling you when and were the hearing is going to be held, when you go make sure you have your sh*t together, you should get K&N to send you a signed letter stating that the use of there product does nothing to harm the Durimax engine, also take the mechanics report with you, better yet pay the mechanic to go with you, and yes I sued GM in small claims court and won, believe me they change there tune when they see your not going roll over and die after they kick you in the crotch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just an added note. As far as I know if the delership, GM, or parties named in the small claims court do not show up to the court, (all parties with out attorney's) YOU WIN by default!

Patrick

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Here is some info. that might be helpful,

Dear K&N Consumer:

K&N Engineering, Inc., is informed that some automobile dealers are telling their customers that the factory warranty on their motor vehicles is “void,” if a K&N replacement air filter for an original equipment (OE) air filter has been installed. K&N finds such instances disturbing and while K&N does not purport to give legal advice, it would like to refer you to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, often referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Act, which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c), as follows:
<DIV align=center>
<CENTER>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=650>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.”</TD></TR></T></TABLE></CENTER></DIV>

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless the Federal Trade Commission waives this prohibition. K&N interprets this law to also prohibit the motor vehicle manufacturer from restricting your use of a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, etc. You may also have greater rights under the consumer warranty laws applicable in your state.

K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the Federal Trade Commission to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters. Therefore, K&N considers any threat to void your factory warranty, or the actual voiding of your factory warranty, for the installation of a K&N replacement air filter, to be a violation of federal law and, perhaps, a violation of state law, depending upon the laws of your state.

If you have encountered a motor vehicle dealer, who refuses to perform warranty repairs on your vehicle, solely because you have installed a K&N replacement air filter, then we ask that you request that the dealer set forth the warranty denial, in writing, together with a written statement that the warranty on your vehicle has been voided, as a result of the installation of the K&N air filter, and that you send a copy of this written statement to K&N. While K&N cannot act as your legal advocate or assume responsibility for enforcing your warranty rights under state and federal law, we will write to the dealership and your motor vehicle manufacturer and insist that they provide a legal basis for their position.

In addition to any action K&N may take, you should consult an attorney and various state and federal agencies, who may be able to assist you in protecting and enforcing your warranty rights, if you encounter a motor vehicle dealer’s or manufacturer’s refusal to honor your motor vehicle warranty.

<DIV align=right>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=350>
<T>
<TR>
<TD><FONT face=Arial size

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Oldman,

<A name=WORD>A Word About Filtration Requirements</A>

There are few areas more confusing than identifying dirt retention requirements when it comes to air filters. Most vehicle owner’s manuals remain silent on the point. In fact, few air filter manufacturers publish any information as to the filtration efficiency of their filters. This stands in marked contrast to oil and fuel filters where there is a relatively large amount of information regarding filtration requirements and capabilities. Studies have shown most engine wear is caused by particles 10 to 20 microns in size. K&N air filters, like most quality disposable air filters, provide excellent filtration of these particles. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p>

To ensure our air filters provide a high level of dirt protection, we regularly test our air filter designs using the testing procedure described above. Those tests demonstrate K&N air filters generally achieve overall filtration efficiency in the range of 97% - 98%, while some of our air filter designs have achieved levels as high as 99%. The fact that our air filters at times reach overall filtration efficiencies as high as 99% while maintaining high airflow is a testament to the quality and capabilities of our oil impregnated cotton air filter medium.</O:p>
On occasion we see “new” air filter media’s developed and sold under the premise they provide increased levels of dirt filtration. More often than not, as opposed to quoting specific efficiency numbers, this “increased protection” is described as increased dirt retention capacity, meaning the filter can hold more dirt before requiring replacement. Remember, K&N air filters have always provided a service life in excess of disposable filters and then only require cleaning and oiling for re-use. <O:p></O:p>
We encourage customers to do their homework and be aware of the filtration capabilities of an air filter before they buy. Our own testing has revealed wide differences in filtering capabilities. We were surprised to see some disposable paper air filters with an overall filtration efficiency as low as 93%. We hope we have provided enough information to ensure consumers know what they are getting when they buy a K&N air filter.<O:p> </O:p>

<A name=MYTHS>Filtration 101 - A Deeper Cut</A>
Most people believe that all air filters function on a go/no go basis where dirt particles that are larger than the openings in the filter media are trapped while particles that are smaller than the openings can pass right through. A dry paper air filter does function in this manner. That’s why paper filters are so restrictive to air flow. The openings in this type of filter have to be very small to filter efficiently.
The oiled cotton media used in the K&N air filter functions in an entirely different manner. There are scientific principles that determine how an air filter removes dirt particles from the air stream. The first of these principles is known as interception, which applies to dirt particles traveling with the air stream. Air flow will always take the shortest path and as the air is forced to flow around the filter’s fibers some of the particles will contact the sides of the fibers and be captured. These particles are then held in place by the oil or tacking agent in the fiber.
Ano

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wonder if my Escalade door handles and Steil bar grill will void my warranty? I can hear it now, "that grill restricts air flow and we are not covering your bad injectors" and those door handles are not OEM for this truck"......god help us all if they are looking that hard for stuff to void the warranty!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
thorco69 said:
I initially placed a topic under "loss of power", and I have found a Chevy Dealer, who may have pinpointed the problem but they are not sure. I have a bad Mass flow sensor, and a fuel pump that is putting out too much pressure. Here is the rub, the Chevy Factory Rep stated that since I had a K&N filter installed, they would not warranty the Mass flow sensor, and since I once had performance software installed (Hypertech), that Chevy would not honor their warranty, and they have issued new bulletins to their dealers stating so. Has anyone else had this problem, and if the rep is just side stepping the responsibility, do any of you have something I can show the factory rep. Thanks to all.

I know it's a matter of principle but if it is proven the Hot Wire was contaminated with KN oil it isn't up to the dealer to clean or replace ....

I would just suck it up clean it or replace it ... Their something like 40 bucks new ,I have two ....I swap out airboxes when I visit Mr Goodwrench and company ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
845 Posts
I can just blackmail my service manager, hes running a K&N and a Hypertech module in his Tahoe 5.3. Didnt someone just say recently that GM will not warranty a MAF if used with an Oil style air filter? This was like a month ago

Thorco69, How did they know you were running a Hypertech software program?, Seems like everyone skipped on asking bout that.

Some dealers are really cool , others really suck. If they cant prove it then your all set.

My friend who is a Service Manager shows up to court at least a few times a month for lemon law/buy backs. GM would'nt sent a lawyer if you were taking them to small claims, they'd pay the SM to go,

And another way to get what you want is tell the SM/techs what you know, If they see that you might know a little bit more than they do, they step down a bit. Too bad DmaxAlliTechs arent available at every dealership in the US.

Bill

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bronco said:
Thats crap about K&N filtration abilaty. It is a very good filter period. Big stuff only, my butt. I have put countless hours on my Bronco at the Sandunes. I take my motors apart myself. No extra wear from dirt. The baja 500 puts all kinds of dirt particles in the air. From micrscopic to clauds. Same as the sand dunes or a country road for that mattter. K&N works just fine. If you over oil one or damage the gauze then you did not follow the instructions! The oil on the filter traps more dirt than you could ever imagine! I am sorry for the tone, it just makes me a little peeved to hear a warranty being voided by an air cleaner that is sold in the parts dept. It also makes me mad to hear people tell you a K&N will not work just so they can sell you there version. Rant Out!

AMEN!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts