Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78' c-60 that came with a trashed 4-53t detroit (anyone need parts eng). came accross a 427 truck engine (tall deck) with no flywheel. purchased a used flywheel and a dual disc clutch . since none of this was in the truck and I put it all together there is a vibration at I would say 1500 to 2000 rpm then it goes away. motor idles sweet no smoke or vibration. wondered if I got wrong flywheel? this was 7 years ago when I bought all this stuff finally got it all running again the other day. is this motor internally balanced? can't remember. the clutch has a floating plate between the clutch disc. wondered if it could be my problem. going to have to pull trans and see if flywheel is indexed to crank pin. will end up removing clutch and firing up to see if vibration goes away. any thought or experiences may help. don't do like I did and let stuff sit without getting back to it .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is the clutch used? Could be broken pieces in the pressure plate, or broken springs in clutch disc.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clutch was brand new 9 years ago when I put it in and has less than 50 miles on it. called a old time mech. I worked with years ago and he worked on many of the truck 427 at the phone company shop. he told me they were internally balanced and had me check the harmonic balancer for any added weight on the back. I found none. the viberation goes away at higher rpm. about ready to drop trans and pull off clutch and give it a start to see if it still shakes. I did think about broken springs in clutch I have seen and felt that before. keep the ideas coming. going to pull off fan belts and see if acc. are the problem.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Any chance the harmonic balancer ring has spun on the center? Or could it by chance have a balancer from a 454, which is externally balanced?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I put this engine together it was a real hienz 57 for I bought the short block and heads at one place as scrap ( the short block was still in the wrapper with cosmoline oil all over it with the rebuilt tags wired to it.) then started hitting all the soarces for flywheel to valve covers. I will never do that again. should of bought a blow up complete 427truck engine and used all the acc. off of it. I checked the harmonic balancer it was smooth on the back , no weights added to back. will probabley live with it you do not notice it driving down the road. just if you are sitting still . I am probabley just to pickey. it goes away after 2500rpm or so. it is not a miss. my bet is the floating plate inbetween the dual disc clutch. but if you think of something to check chime in. I have a buyer for it . going to turn it into one of those fertilizer off road truck with a big spreader on the back and 5ft. tall by 4ft wide rear tires. if he buys it I will get some photo's on here of before and after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts