1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is my understanding that they are identical in functionality.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
GM gets Tech 2s from Vetronix. This one is the same one we use. The Tech 2 flash is the one that looks the same but does not have all the functions of the real thing. If you get one you could have a buddy in a dealership update it for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did not see a price for it?GM Tech 2 is about 2700.00

·
Registered
124 Posts
In my many days working for Ford as a driveabiliy tech...they used to have a program where they would sell the NGS (Ford's version of the Tech 2) to the tech's for a reduced price (around $1100, but that was five years ago). Not sure if GM has the same program, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have been to the Vetronix website and it seems that the Scan II by itself is a one-way street - you can obtain info from the vehicle but you can't program the flash settings on the vehicle. This functionality requires a PC (I have), the Scan II (plan on getting), and "GM's Service Programming System" (SPS) (can I get? and how much?).

I always get the service manuals for vehicles that I buy but it has gotten to the point today where, in order to find out what's going on, the Scan II is referenced in the manuals nearly as often as a screwdriver or wrench.

The ability to set flash parameters can be a real handy item for things that I don't want to or can't ask a dealer tech to do.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You will have to buy a subscription to the SPS system. I did a search and found this.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="98%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left>
<DIV align=left>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=left>GM SPS 1 YEAR DATA SUBSCRIPTION</TD>
<TD vAlign=center align=left> </TD>
<TD vAlign=center align=right></TD></TR></T></TABLE></DIV></TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=5 rowSpan=3> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left rowSpan=3></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left>
<DIV align=left>

GM SPS Powertrain/Body/Chassis Reprogramming Data – 1 Year Subscription – CDs will be shipped as they are made available by GM. This is a license to use the data for one year.

Item Code: GMSPS-PTBC-1YR</DIV>

$1,195.00</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://www.obd-onboarddiagnostics.com/AeroCart/list.asp?cat=46,0,0,0,0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts