Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa!.. this guy is PO'd.. although I'm not sure I fully understand why. I thought that everyone knew you could only use a Predator on one vehicle - or was I wrong? Regardless, check this boy out:
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR bgColor=#d6dcfe>
<TD vAlign=center></TD>
<TD>
</TD>
<TD width="100%">120 HP Predators for Duramax are JUNK </TD></TR></T></TABLE></DIV>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33597&item=2449256286

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought one of them a while back and even read the directions for once. I knew that once you reflashed a truck it was VIN locked to that particular vehicle and you couldn't flash a second truck. But that was only while it was loaded to that particular VIN... or so I thought. I didn't realize you would be married to that particular VIN for richer or poorer. That's BS.
I ended up returning the unit after a day or two. Truck didn't run very well with it on and it smoked way too much.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I am not too terribly thrilled with mine. Between the surge and the SES light, it gets annoying...

They made me a custom program, but it is now evident that they just sent me an old version of the program...(1.04) Caught a SES light within 3 miles of freeway driving.

Takes about 3 weeks to make a custom tune too...

·
Registered
663 Posts
What if you only use the Predator as a Duramax scan tool? Can it be used on more than one truck? I have thought about buying one just to monitor the engine parameters, not to re-program.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You can use the scan tool function on multiple trucks. The VIN lock only applies to the tuning part.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
manny tranny, I have got several custom tunes from james and only took a couple days. If you like I could send you some of them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jbplock,

I'll mail you the Predator that I have if you want to mess with it after the holidays for a couple of weeks. It's interesting to watch the relationship between the various parameters as you drive along. Bought it mainly to watch the Balance Rates, not enough time to write my own software to do this. Send me an email if your interested.

AlanEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks Alan! You have mail...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have read every thread one every site I could find about "chips".

IMHO, I agree with the poor e-bay guy. Predator is JUNK. Stay away.

I bought Hot Juice w/Attitued and it is great. Can be taken off and resold or send the truck to the "stealer" and the only evidence is a rolled up Pyrometer probe (must have been installed by the prior owner?) and a couple pieces of hook & loop tape. No warranty impacts.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I have to disagree,

The Predator offers real time data and the ability to read and reset SES codes. If it is bought for a good price and all you want is tire reflashing and top speed limiter removed as well as the scanning the Predator is great.

Go and price out a True Speed and a Tech II. Granted the Predator is not as advanced a scanner as a Tech II, but for me it does what I need it to do.

If you want to make tons of power there are other tuners/boxes available to complement the Predator.

T
NY

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'll second what GMC-2002-Dmax says. I don't believe the Predator is "Junk". The performance tunes may be sub-standard relative to the others available on the market (at least that is what others indicate who actually use them). Personally, I have not used the performance tunes nor do I intend too. I purchased the unit for $350 and plan to use it strictly for it's capability to read OBDII fault codes plus monitor the real-time data (don't have enough time in the day to write the software myself). When I purchase larger tires, I will be able to re-flash the ECM to make the speedo read correctly. Who knows, someday Diablosport may get their act together and actually create some good tunes. In the mean time, I will buy a Juice/Attitude box in a few months to make the truck a little more responsive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Uhmm, I like the Predator tunes, at least the 40 and 65hp tunes. Quiet and exceptionally responsive, particularly as the motor crosses about 1800rpm, it really takes off. I tried the Quad and far preferred the Predator.

I prefer the Juice with Attitude over both of'em, though. You can just tell, it's got a more refined fuel curve and I like all the adjustability and I *really* like the ability to adjust it on the fly. My Pred has been relegated to speedometer correction/speed limit removal/diagnostic tool duty, and it's worth what I paid for it for those functions.

Although I like the Pred more than the Quad, I do think it's kinda stupid of them to marry it to one truck like that. It's an unfortunate wart on an otherwise good product, IMO.

·
Registered
341 Posts
While I like my predator, I too have always wondered about the vin locking. That alone has cost Diablo thousands of dollars in sales. Why not have the predator "vin locked" when a tune has been uploaded to a vehicle, so it can't upload to multiple trucks at once?

Other than that, I really like it, but don't use the upper two tunes, and can't use the 65 tune on the ice, as that 1800 rpm jump will break loose the tires...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts