Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's the deal. when i push the brake pedal my dash lights, drls and side markers come on. the dash lights are very dim. this happens with the ignition on and off, if its off i get the 'ding ding ding' sound as if i left the lights on. doesnt matter if the key is in the ignition or not. also, my left turn signal stopped working, when i turn it on the little green arrow comes on in the dash but it just sits there, doesn't blink, no fast blink... nothing. both the left side marker and left rear taillight turn on, but don't blink. ok, so i hope you're all as confused as me now but maybe someone has some ideas on what the hell is going on... im lost. iv checked all the applicable fuses, well, all that i know of anyway. checked all battery connections and any other electrical connections i could find but everything seems to be just fine. this just happend outa the blue, nothing has been serviced or messed with recently. any ideas?

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's a short. Somewhere you have two wires that are bare and touching. I'd start by tracing your wires off the brake pedal switch. Time consuming and it helps if you can stand on your head.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'll bet money that your trailer wiring plug at the rear of the truck is shorted out. Had the exact same thing happen to a previous truck. Turned out the trailer plug corroded (sp.) and the "always hot" terminal inside the plug on the truck shorted to the other terminals and back fed all the circuits. After talking with others I found it to be quite common. I'll be your brake light feed is touching the other terminals.

Disconnect it and see what happens.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i came by to let everyone know that i figured out what the problem was only to find skoyaro2 already had! oh well, so yeah it was the wiring harness for the trailer brakes. the connectors had corroded from launching my boat in the saltwater all summer.... cleaned em up and everything works fine!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Glad you found it. So what do I win :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts