Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone have lurked on here for a while and have been putting a build together for a couple years now that I have been dreaming about for 20 years. This is very non conventional but that's just who I am and I always want to push the envelope. I have prepared myself to fail and lots of trial and error but if I hit my mark I feel this may be something worth documenting.

The plan

Build a 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 with 1 ton axles, dual transfercases and 40" tires that I can still afford to drive daily if I chose. My dream when I was 12 was a massive diesel powered Land Cruiser like the stock one I grew up with just better, after lots of research and remembering that dream I loved the idea of a supercharged diesel that is mainly for LIGHT DUTY and devoted mainly to moving its own weight with efficiency. That's when a mil spec 93 6.5 with serp belt and like 10k miles on it fell in my lap. Its of course turbo charged but after looking at the extremely inefficient way the turbo has to be setup and how low of boost these high compression motors need to build decent power I started researching other options.

I came across Billet supercharger kit that was installed on an FJ80 and beat the turbocharged version by 2 car links at 1/4 mile and suddenly understood my thinking was in the right direction. But the price was very hard to handle. More research and I come across the Eaton M122 and all its siblings that come from a mid to late model mustang that has a very easily adaptable footprint to the flat intake of these 6.5's I again was intrigued. Plus they are cheap on ebay.

So here is where I need help, considering that I am ready to fail telling me I'm crazy is gonna do little, I would like constructive criticism as to issues I may run into and how to remedy them. The other question is to build 300 hp motor that can handle say 14 lbs of boost and still be a 200,000 mile motor what upgrades am I looking at. Lower bearing cap girdle or whatever the technical name is and of course head studs, am I missing anything?

Heres pics of my build so far, its all mock up of course but you can see I'm holding nothing back, huge link suspension and air bags will keep the axles following the terrain no matter what happens.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Very ambitious build, hope it works out for you. Blower setup more than likely will require hood mods to clear the setup. Cranks are on the weak side in some 6.5 applications. Blowers do add extra strain to the crank. Blowers in general add a lot of heat to the air charge which also increases EGT's. Blowers do add to the wow factor and may be what you are looking for.

Your application may be a good candidate for two turbos since your pics show room on both sides.

Now my take on blowers is to use a clutch to pop the blower on and off at will. I had the pleasure to work on a Diesel Volvo in a boat. It had a blower and a turbo. The blower clutch was engaged when the boat took off. As the boat started to make boost the blower disengaged and the turbo took over. The thing really jumped out of the water. The blower/turbo setup was factory! The clutch looked just like a AC compressor clutch.
Good build and good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very ambitious build, hope it works out for you. Blower setup more than likely will require hood mods to clear the setup. Cranks are on the weak side in some 6.5 applications. Blowers do add extra strain to the crank. Blowers in general add a lot of heat to the air charge which also increases EGT's. Blowers do add to the wow factor and may be what you are looking for.

Your application may be a good candidate for two turbos since your pics show room on both sides.

Now my take on blowers is to use a clutch to pop the blower on and off at will. I had the pleasure to work on a Diesel Volvo in a boat. It had a blower and a turbo. The blower clutch was engaged when the boat took off. As the boat started to make boost the blower disengaged and the turbo took over. The thing really jumped out of the water. The blower/turbo setup was factory! The clutch looked just like a AC compressor clutch.
Good build and good luck.
Thanks for the response, since half the body is gonna get hacked up to clear large tires anyway cutting the hood doesn't bother me much. The crank is a consideration and that is one that I need more info on since mine is a J engine code mill spec is it known for crank issues? If so are there options for upgraded bullet proof cranks? I'm fully prepared to spend whatever I need to to make this thing the ultimate rig but of course I don't want to waste money if I can "make" or "adapt" to save like the supercharger from another source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also forgot to mention with the wastegate option that I have seen ran many times before, I can run boost based upon throttle position, drive pressure, boost pressure or whatever tickles my fancy really. This option will make the supercharger really nothing more than a blower or freewheel until the wastegate is shut and the boost goes internal instead of wasted externally. Improves efficiency and offers more control for power vs finesse on the trails. Been researching superchargers for like 2 years as I planned this out so I'm hoping I have enough knowledge to make it happen. As for twins that was my original idea but these motors just don't have the drive pressure of a long stroke cummins to push lot of exhaust to overcome back pressure of a turbo so I feel that twins would be rather inefficient. I am completely open though to suggestions if someone has built a nice twins setup that is still peppy and fuel mileage is on par. I have an exhaust pipe bender so make whatever isn't a problem, from what Ive read though the twins didn't work real well on the 6.5.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
Scat makes a cast steel crankshaft.Supposed to be stronger than the GM unit.Sells for around $400 bucks I think.Heath diesel sells the arp main stud kit for the 6.5.You'll need that as well if you plan on pushing it hard.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wow. I never thought to look at scat. The forged cranks I've seen have been in the $2000 range, should be almost indestructible. Following closely. This should be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Curious to see how this one turns out, looks like a cool project!! Why the air suspension? Why not just put coils in? Also, what are you doing for a parking brake since I see you're putting disc brakes on your 14 bolt?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Driveline brakes work very well as parking brakes and the holding power is multiplied by the gear ratio.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
There was a company that made blowers for 6.5 Humvees and Marine. I posted an eBay link awhile back in here somewhere. Might want to see if you can look into that and possibly just adapt the head unit to the lower intake that comes with that setup since it'll most likely be in rough shape due to age if you find one.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
By the time you buy that kit (wow that's expensive) and a P400 or build one you won't have to worry about with what you are spending to put it on....you could have bought a brand new or almost new Duramax and had twice the power at less than half the cost.

And probably enough left over to pay for the truck its going in.

But to each their own.
what are you talking about buying a new duramax?:wtf: around here a bare bones zero optioned d-max truck still sells for $70,000+tax....:think:...

i dont recall ever saying to buy that kit, or saying that we were buying that kit( we wouldnt buy a kit, we would build it, and the engine, and the truck to put it in) i was simply posting up a current alternative to the out-dated junk kit that was posted previously....

dont assume to know what we should spend our money on in the future, and i can restrain my posting telling you that you are an idiot, and dont really have clue what you are talking about... sound fair?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
And that kit really isn't outrageously priced. People drop 5-7 grand to put superchargers on their vehicles every day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious to see how this one turns out, looks like a cool project!! Why the air suspension? Why not just put coils in? Also, what are you doing for a parking brake since I see you're putting disc brakes on your 14 bolt?
Hey Roadhog, so the theory behind air bags is many positives at the expense of well expense, and complexity. Imagine a 6 month old and a wife at 5 foot 3 trying to get into a family built rig that sits over 3 feet at the rocker panel, I have the option to set it down to nearly stock height with a button. Thats the minor plus, the biggest reason is this thing is gonna see some hardcore trail time. If Im climbing out a water fall and get tipsy or wont climb due to weight transfer I can take air out of the front and add air to the rear to transfer the weight to the front and climb out without feeling like its gonna come over on me. On that same thought I would like to keep this thing looking decent so if I get into a bad spot and have to take body damage I can add air to the sketch side and take some out of the safe side to get it away from the damage. How about snow bashing another one of my favorite past times. I can run at say 6 inch uptravel, if I get stuck I fill air bags up to 100psi and max at 11 inches, dig out easily and drive right out. Driving down the highway I can take a bunch out of the air bags to improve wind resistance and fuel mileage. If you get into the technical side of it, by running a radius arm link suspension, depending on where the link is in relation to the pivot point the axle will either squat or anti-squat. By adding air to change that angle I can actually make the suspension react differently depending on if I want to crawl and create contact pressure, or if I want to bounce up the rock with some throttle. See what I mean, lots of options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have literally memorized all the links you guys sent so I appreciate you looking out but Ive done a ton of research already. As for the supercharger option over a duramax there is a couple reasons. I considered lots of directions, 4bt, 4b1dt, 6bt, duramax, all good options but they all have drawbacks that I felt the 6.5 shined at. Simplicity and effeciency. Pieces for the 6.5 can be found everywhere and are cheap, injection pumps are everywhere and like $500 vs $1500 or more for comman rail. Externals of the 6.5 are all sbc making alternator, ac, p/s upgrades all super easy and adaptable. The high compression option makes them extremely efficient. Everything that I have read show that the 6.5 is typically in the mid 20's. I have seen lots of duramax and powerstroke guys complain about 16-18 and the cummins guys maybe getting 20. The supercharger option Im going with is 2 fold, eaton m122's are all over ebay for like $400 with low mileage and that look super easy to adapt with little issue and time so cheap and custom is cool, the kits you guys showed are all for root style blowers, which work great but are old school tech, now the eaton m122 is a root blower as well but there are like 5 aftermarket places which build a twin screw upgrade with intercooler which are 3 times more effecient than any root blower, and have service option all over the place. If Im gonna spend $5k its gonna be on upgrades after I have spent the time to make it work.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Hey Roadhog, so the theory behind air bags is many positives at the expense of well expense, and complexity. Imagine a 6 month old and a wife at 5 foot 3 trying to get into a family built rig that sits over 3 feet at the rocker panel, I have the option to set it down to nearly stock height with a button. Thats the minor plus, the biggest reason is this thing is gonna see some hardcore trail time. If Im climbing out a water fall and get tipsy or wont climb due to weight transfer I can take air out of the front and add air to the rear to transfer the weight to the front and climb out without feeling like its gonna come over on me. On that same thought I would like to keep this thing looking decent so if I get into a bad spot and have to take body damage I can add air to the sketch side and take some out of the safe side to get it away from the damage. How about snow bashing another one of my favorite past times. I can run at say 6 inch uptravel, if I get stuck I fill air bags up to 100psi and max at 11 inches, dig out easily and drive right out. Driving down the highway I can take a bunch out of the air bags to improve wind resistance and fuel mileage. If you get into the technical side of it, by running a radius arm link suspension, depending on where the link is in relation to the pivot point the axle will either squat or anti-squat. By adding air to change that angle I can actually make the suspension react differently depending on if I want to crawl and create contact pressure, or if I want to bounce up the rock with some throttle. See what I mean, lots of options.
Makes sense! I like the idea, my only quabble with them is reliability being a more complex system there is more things to fail. I also like my offroad rigs as dirt simple as possible. Overall though, I think it's gonna turn out cool! I'll be keeping my eyes on it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
what are you talking about buying a new duramax?:wtf: around here a bare bones zero optioned d-max truck still sells for $70,000+tax....:think:...

i dont recall ever saying to buy that kit, or saying that we were buying that kit( we wouldnt buy a kit, we would build it, and the engine, and the truck to put it in) i was simply posting up a current alternative to the out-dated junk kit that was posted previously....

dont assume to know what we should spend our money on in the future, and i can restrain my posting telling you that you are an idiot, and dont really have clue what you are talking about... sound fair?
I could have had a Duramax out of a running 2009 (bent frame from front hit on a 2wd) with 119k miles for $2,500 two months ago...and I don't have deals like that falling in my lap very often.

I didn't grab it because of the other stuff I'd have to upgrade, and the time it would take to make it work in my truck. I'll probably regret NOT grabbing it to resale, but I had no place to put it.

Duramax Lift outs from almost new trucks can be had for well under $10k

You are the one talking about entire new trucks...nowhere did I say that.

With all due respect..but did someone pee in your wheaties this morning? Did you even bother to read what I posted?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts