Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
j

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys. Its been a while but I'am back with a little problem. I've got 305 BF's on some 10" Rims with what I think to much off set. I am going to put my stockers back on with maybe some 285's. My problem is that my front end is very loose. I can't even run in 4 wheel drive because it darts to much. So I jack up the truck thinking to find a loose ball joint, I can move the wheel by hand side to side a lot. No brainer loose ball joints right. Wrong I climbed under the truck to find every thing tight, My problem seems to be that my steering rod seems to role on the pitman arm because of the design of the tie rod ends connecting to the steering rod ends have little S bends in them. I not sure if I am missing something, Is there some where else I should be looking. I have done some 4wd hole shots but have quit since this problem and I know I need to get tie rod end stiffners. Could I have pulled the tie rod ends out of there sockets? I tried to give as much info as possible and any help would be wonderful. :help:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont run as large tire as yourself, but was having a similar problem with the truck wondering on the road. I thought it was bad alignment or low tire pressure.

Well as it turns out it did need an alignment, but the shop said this was not my problem. They installed a steering kit for the pitman arm. The owner of the shop stated that on 4WD they have a habit of moving back and forth, instead of side to side.

He does this automatically on all truck he raises by lift kit or torsion bars. I had him re-level my truck after someone else did not acccurately complete their work. I will say that the steering is "TIGHT" no wondering, steering kit made a "Huge" difference on steering feel and driveability.

i'll try to find additional information and post later, hopes this helps.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
rejet:?? I'm losing it....I'm sure there was more than a "j" when i replied to this thread.

Kendall69: I was about $200.00 for parts and labor. They do lifts on a daily basis, so i'm sure installing this was a "no brainer"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, ADMIN

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A very loose front end is bad but a very loose rear end is worse.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would REALLY like to know more about the steering kit.
Mine could sure use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well Guys Thanks Again! I'll have to look into that a little closer. Hey MIC I went to school in Romeo. See Ya Later...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rejet , Anyword on the steering kit?

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
rejet,

haven't heard anyone call it saint clair vs st. clair in a long time.

To go the other way, I went to school in Algonac.

·
Registered
306 Posts
lonewolf:

Here's a link:http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/01-06_GM_8-lug/pitman_idler.htm

This is the steering kit presently on my 2500HD. These guys are really helpful and might be able to tell you where to get the work done.

Thanks....TRX

TRX_racer,

Looks like a nice kit.

there are (2) holes on them brackets. one hole the pivot joint that mounts on the pitman stub, but where does the other hole mount to?

I read the destructions, and I can not figure it out (there is no additonal bolt provided in the kit either)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll take pics sometime friday and post that evening or sat morning.....

·
Registered
795 Posts
My loose steering feel proved to be worn out wheel bearings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts