Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing even with my block heater plug in for a minimum of 6hrs. my glow plug light stays on for what seems like a very long time, and when my 04 d/a (1,200 miles) does start it runs rough, sounds loud, for a short period (minute or two) then smooths out. I've been noticing this with the recent cold spell we are having here in the N.E. Phila, Pa. region (8-10 degrees). Getting heat seems to take a long time also. Is there an easy way to verify the heater is working, I've tried opening the hood after heater was plugged in overnight (8hrs) and wrapped my hand around the upper radiator hose which felt very cold, I thought I noticed a slight vibration/hum if I rested my hand on the bumper or top radiator support when I first bought my truck and verified the block heater operation about 2 months ago, but I can't notice or hear anything now. The only electrical work I performed was a prodigy brake controller install which was a snap, plugged in the under dash harness and added a fuse.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
If your extension cord to the block heater is plugged into a GFI receptacle, check that the GFI has not tripped. Failing that, if you do not have a meter, plug a trouble light into the end of the extension cord and see if you have power there. If the light works, then you do have a problem with the actual block heater or the short 'on vehicle' cord feeding it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Chalie said:
Is there an easy way to verify the heater is working, Thanks

Have someone plug it in while you go watch your electric meter, If it working you will know right away.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I have never tried, but you could actually reach up on the passenger side and touch the freeze plug where the heater goes into the block. It should be warm to the touch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
also, use a multimeter on the plug for the heater. If it shows an open condition you have a bad cord or, more likely, a bad heater element.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with the above. The passenger side block should feel warm at least. Also, the other end of the block heater cord has a female receptical that plugs into/onto the block heater itself. I think I read somewhere that one other persons cord had been a little pulled out from the heater and was not working. Make sure it is firmly plugged into the heater.

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guy's, I'll check it out this weekend. Driveway is clear of snow!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YZF1R, just came out from under my truck (me and my droplight starting to snow lightly here in Phila, Pa.), sure enough block plug completely off, cleaned off plug end which was necessary because it was laying on top of well greased centerlink/tie rod (I just greased front end which is another story of GM not performing) with some electromotive cleaner, added some di-electric grease to the connector and plugged back in. THE PLUG JUST GET"S PUSHED BACK INTO PLACE NOTHING KEEPS IT SECURED, SOMETHING I THINK WE SHOULD ALL KEEP AN EYE ON WHENEVER WE ARE UNDER OUR VEHICLES. NOW I KNOW FIRST HAND WHAT MY D/A STARTS LIKE IN NEAR ZERO OVERNIGHT TEMPS WITH NO BLOCK HEATER....

THANKS....

·
Registered
509 Posts
It should start just fine. I've had mine out at near 20 below without plugging it in and it started right up. The only problem I had was that it took forever to warm up.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Chalie,

My plug is covered with clear silicone. Must of forgot yours at the factory.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No problem Chalie. Glad it was simple.

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bronco, I was thinking of adding something like silicone around the plug to help hold it in, thanks for the reassurance. Looks like another crawl under the truck before the Eagles game kickoff. LETS GO EAGLES....

Thanks

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Chalie,

My truck came from the factory with it PLASTERED all over the plug and block. Water tight but not very pretty. The good thing was they used clear so you could verify the contents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts