Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.5 turbo diesel 3500. What is the voltage availiable? I have a CB I want to put in that says it need 13.8 volts. I thought most systems were 12 or 24 volts.

·
Registered
540 Posts
12v car systems are really about 13-14 volts. Just find a hot wire and tap into it or better yet run a line straight to the battery to avoid the cahnce of picking up interferance.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Lotharius, 12volts with just the battery powering the electrics but when the engine is running the alternator is putting out 14.7volts(or so) for charging and powering components.

What kind of CB is it? I think that most CBs are ok with the standard 12v system.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd hook it directly to the battery thru a CIRCUIT BREAKER ( Not Fuse ) and use a #10 or heavier wire. Make sure you have a real good ground. One of the guys said something about 14.7 volts. Its been my experience voltage consistently that high at the battery with engine running will cook the battery and shorten its life. !3.8 is a good level. The line usually run from the truck voltage source to the trialer battery is to light to give a good charge back there. Serious campers frequently install #6 wire from the truck battery to the trailer battery, thus almost eliminating voltage drop unless a real heavy load is put on. I had #6 on my old truck and could even run thr fridge while on the road. With the new truck I'm jsut going to use gas for the fridge when on he road.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You are correct....14.7 is high...13.8 is a much nicer reading coming form the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts