Diesel Place banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am always interested in a spare 6.5 engine. Hopefully you are not too far away. As far as value goes, my opinion is that unless it is a really good engine they are not worth very much because of the cost of rebuilding. One of my machinist friends, who rebuilds engines, told me it would cost "all of the money" to rebuild one. He personally likes the 6.5 and his only hang up is that they cost a lot to rebuild if done right. I paid 600 for a running parts truck and I feel that it was a good deal considering the mileage.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Express, 1994 F59 ISI 7.3l, 1999 GMC Savanna [soon 2b scrapped], 1999 C3500 [scrapped}
20 Posts
I understand.

I'm in PA - I became interested in this thread because of the transport to FL - otherwise due to time constraints, I wouldn't be involved here.

I became a fan of the 6.5 because of the pickup I bought - primarily to aggravate the marketing exec and the lawyer in my HOA - [snip].
['99 C3500, crew, 8' bed, since sold; PMD relocate (eBay used) after the second failure - dealer replaced EVERYTHING (except the fuel tank) the first time = $3600].

So I bought an Express with ~113k - which is where the tranny swap is going; NICEST driving large vehicle I've driven (Police transport vehicle - they treated the cops really well).

Lost OD in the tranny a year later in PGH - I'm near PHL. Lasted about 200 mi. after that.

So I bought a donor school bus dually Savanna for the tranny swap - ~135k.

The school mechanic was a gas engine guy - tried to replace the injector pump and wasn't entirely successful (PMD had long since been relocated).

This is what he told me:

His first attempt, he used an aftermarket pump (~$1,000) and couldn't get it to work. His second attempt, he installed an OEM pump (~$1,600), and had a hard time getting it to run. The school district told him not to spend any more time or money on it, so they sold it.

Now, this wouldn't make sense, unless I told you the bus had been removed from service for student transport because of newer busses, and this had been detailed to the groundskeeping department to transport workers and equipment (like weedwackers) because it ran well (up to that point), had low miles compared to the rest of the bus fleet, had really good heat & A/C), and a really good rep with the bus drivers.

Because of course the bus mechanics would all be able to diagnose diesels, and this was no longer a student bus - it was a maintenance vehicle. Even the maintenance mechanic's truck was gasoline, so he had no direct experience with diesels. He got advice from the bus mechanics, but they were prohibited from working on it.

When I got there, he said I wouldn't be able to get it started, but 'lo, and behold!', it did. But it ran really rough. After a while, and a few restarts, all of a sudden, it smoothed out, and ran very well. But then rough again. But it was a tranny donor, so I didn't care - all I wanted was to get it parked next to my other bus to do the swap.

So, now I have the rest of the bus to make gone, and I'm thinking of stripping it first. It was the district's drivers favorite bus, and it has an OEM injection pump with only about 15 hours on it.

An engine is big and heavy. PMDs and injection pumps are not, and I have another 6.5 to put them in if necessary.

So, my crazy thought was:

Remove diesel engine, drive to NH, get a one-way trailer, attach to your truck, drive back here, pick up the engine, drive to FL, unload my car, visit my friend in FL, and drive my car home.

That way, I get to control my exposure to COVID-19, to the greatest degree possible.

Crazy, right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I understand.

I'm in PA - I became interested in this thread because of the transport to FL - otherwise due to time constraints, I wouldn't be involved here.

I became a fan of the 6.5 because of the pickup I bought - primarily to aggravate the marketing exec and the lawyer in my HOA - [snip].
['99 C3500, crew, 8' bed, since sold; PMD relocate (eBay used) after the second failure - dealer replaced EVERYTHING (except the fuel tank) the first time = $3600].

So I bought an Express with ~113k - which is where the tranny swap is going; NICEST driving large vehicle I've driven (Police transport vehicle - they treated the cops really well).

Lost OD in the tranny a year later in PGH - I'm near PHL. Lasted about 200 mi. after that.

So I bought a donor school bus dually Savanna for the tranny swap - ~135k.

The school mechanic was a gas engine guy - tried to replace the injector pump and wasn't entirely successful (PMD had long since been relocated).

This is what he told me:

His first attempt, he used an aftermarket pump (~$1,000) and couldn't get it to work. His second attempt, he installed an OEM pump (~$1,600), and had a hard time getting it to run. The school district told him not to spend any more time or money on it, so they sold it.

Now, this wouldn't make sense, unless I told you the bus had been removed from service for student transport because of newer busses, and this had been detailed to the groundskeeping department to transport workers and equipment (like weedwackers) because it ran well (up to that point), had low miles compared to the rest of the bus fleet, had really good heat & A/C), and a really good rep with the bus drivers.

Because of course the bus mechanics would all be able to diagnose diesels, and this was no longer a student bus - it was a maintenance vehicle. Even the maintenance mechanic's truck was gasoline, so he had no direct experience with diesels. He got advice from the bus mechanics, but they were prohibited from working on it.

When I got there, he said I wouldn't be able to get it started, but 'lo, and behold!', it did. But it ran really rough. After a while, and a few restarts, all of a sudden, it smoothed out, and ran very well. But then rough again. But it was a tranny donor, so I didn't care - all I wanted was to get it parked next to my other bus to do the swap.

So, now I have the rest of the bus to make gone, and I'm thinking of stripping it first. It was the district's drivers favorite bus, and it has an OEM injection pump with only about 15 hours on it.

An engine is big and heavy. PMDs and injection pumps are not, and I have another 6.5 to put them in if necessary.

So, my crazy thought was:

Remove diesel engine, drive to NH, get a one-way trailer, attach to your truck, drive back here, pick up the engine, drive to FL, unload my car, visit my friend in FL, and drive my car home.

That way, I get to control my exposure to COVID-19, to the greatest degree possible.

Crazy, right?
Most likely, my cousin will drive it down or trailer it down. I am possibly interested in that 6.5. Send me a PM and if the location and price are right I might be able to have my cousin pick up the engine on his way down.

As far as transport companies go. Coastal Auto has been the best to deal with and the most knowledgeable. I feel comfortable with them. I got a lower quote but that company gave me too many red flags. Like having the length of 9 feet down instead 20. The updated quote was still lower but I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling from them.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Express, 1994 F59 ISI 7.3l, 1999 GMC Savanna [soon 2b scrapped], 1999 C3500 [scrapped}
20 Posts
9' for a Suburban? Yeah, that estimator needs more experience listening before being put on the phones. Maybe it's the owner's middle-schooler.

Anyway, turns out the tranny is a GM OEM Reman, so I'm good on that front.

I don't know what they're worth - what would be fair?

And I've only removed one engine, and that was helping a mechanic.
What are your thoughts about time frame for your cousin, and value?

Location: near Philly - Phoenixville - an easy detour from I-95, and then to return to heading south.

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I don't know what they're worth - what would be fair?
Discussion of items for sale/wanted belongs in the Marketplace section of the forum. Please post it over there ( If eligible) or discuss in a PM off thread so you do not derail the topic
(y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, I'll wait for Casanova to PM me.
As you can see, I only have a few posts. I think 35[?] are required, so I'm not eligible for marketplace yet. [snip] I'm limited here in my options, and time constrained with what to do with the remainder of the bus.
[snip] That's good guidance, thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I went with coastal auto shippers. They subbed it to a company called RV Transport LLC. They seem like a decent small shipper that can handle a wide vehicle. They are one of coastal's "preferred" shippers that they have already vetted. It is insured to 75000 which is enough for this vehicle.

The suburban gets picked up tomorrow and starts the 1300 mile trip to my house. I cant wait to see it. It will be my first non-clapped out truck. I mean all my trucks run great but are lacking in the looks department. I also don't have a 4 door vehicle and now that I need to transport my 1 month old around I need a family hauler. I might have a thing for dual rear wheels so this also scratches that itch. And even though I will probably never go off roading in it, it is my first 4x4.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to see you've resolved your transportation issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The truck was picked up Saturday morning and delivered Tuesday night. That is tonight! The truck was delivered with no damage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

21 - 31 of 31 Posts