Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 suburban that is in another state. I might need to have it shipped if my current plan does not work out. Who/how do you guys recommend shipping vehicles from NH to FL?

The truck is driveable. I just got the title and registration in my name and it is insured. It is actually a unicorn of a truck, it only has 46000 miles on it. It does have dual rear wheels which will make shipping it harder. It will probably only fit on a flat bed or a low boy type trailer.

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I just bought a 99 suburban that is in another state. I might need to have it shipped if my current plan does not work out. Who/how do you guys recommend shipping vehicles from NH to FL?

The truck is driveable. I just got the title and registration in my name and it is insured. It is actually a unicorn of a truck, it only has 46000 miles on it. It does have dual rear wheels which will make shipping it harder. It will probably only fit on a flat bed or a low boy type trailer.
Car haulers are going to charge anywhere from $1 to $3/mile.
You can contact a broker to handle the load for you or you can get on Uship.com and create an account and post the load going to FL. yourself.

·
Registered
86 Posts

A dually burb. You have peaked my interest. Pics when you get it home?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A dually burb. You have peaked my interest. Pics when you get it home?
Definitely. I am really excited, this is my first "nice" truck. I actually have collision coverage on it.

I would drive it back but my wife and I just had a baby and the whole covid thing does not help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a truck shipped from FL to CA. I shopped around and found a company I liked and they are based in FL so I think that helped. I was pleased with their service and had a smooth transaction. The name is Coastal Auto Shipping and I am sure you could look up their info fairly easily.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing?
It was one of the early conversion ideas. There are still a few around.

burb.jpg

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Do you have an out of work family member or friend that could use some cash or is out of work? Renting a 1 way car or doing a 1 way flight and paying them to drive it back may be cheaper.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a truck shipped from FL to CA. I shopped around and found a company I liked and they are based in FL so I think that helped. I was pleased with their service and had a smooth transaction. The name is Coastal Auto Shipping and I am sure you could look up their info fairly easily.
Thanks for the recommendation. I spoke with them this morning and they seem like a solid company. They wanted lots of details like dimensions and weight. They even asked for a picture before giving me an estimate. They said it is probably going to go on a flat bed. The quote is 1750. Not too bad for 1300 miles. What do you guys think? I really want to do the road trip buy my family needs me and I don't want to risk bringing home any contagions.

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I spoke with them this morning and they seem like a solid company. They wanted lots of details like dimensions and weight. They even asked for a picture before giving me an estimate. They said it is probably going to go on a flat bed. The quote is 1750. Not too bad for 1300 miles. What do you guys think? I really want to do the road trip buy my family needs me and I don't want to risk bringing home any contagions.
Not bad at almost $1.35/mile but I think you can find a better rate if you keep shopping..
Back in 2013 when I retired and moved from Calif. I had a Chevy Tahoe and a tractor w/front end loader hauled to Oklahoma and paid $1750 when the gas prices were higher

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have contacted several companies and the one recommended was the best to deal with and has given the best estimate so far. I have had higher estimates and one refusal to take the job because of the width. This is in case the relative can't drive it down, which was my plan A.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes back then the suburban were set on a real truck frame. Today it's a little better than an impala.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Express, 1994 F59 ISI 7.3l, 1999 GMC Savanna [soon 2b scrapped], 1999 C3500 [scrapped}
20 Posts
To (roughly) where in FL?
And, do you already have the engine for the conversion your sig indicates?

·
Registered
219 Posts
1750 for 1300 miles is more per mile than what I paid...but it still sounds reasonable. You should have heard some of the higher quotes I got! I am sure there are some flat rate charges which work out to lower cost for more miles and perhaps how far off the beaten path they need to go to load/offload as well. Whatever you choose you have to take some pics when you get your new burb and share em! Sounds nice.

Also for me I was shipping an m1010 which was geared 4.56:1 with a 6.2 and a 55mph redline. Fuel from A to B would have been easily over $700 let alone adding a plane ticket and the two weeks it would take me driving it back avoiding highways, food and time off work :LOL:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't wait to see this beast.

I've used Coastal Auto as well. I had mine shipped from central FL to San Diego for just over $1,000. This was several years ago and it included a military discount, though. They got it there ahead of schedule as well.

One thing I remember well was that they had it in 4x4 low for the shipment and I didn't realize it until I started driving and the truck starting yelling at me. :oops:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To (roughly) where in FL?
And, do you already have the engine for the conversion your sig indicates?
North central Florida. Not too far from I 75. I am always looking for a 6BT but I never have the funds when a good one crosses my path. I do have a spare 6.5. I got a running parts truck for $600. The engine has 200k on it, so I figured I would rebuild it one day. Hopefully before I need it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't wait to see this beast.

I've used Coastal Auto as well. I had mine shipped from central FL to San Diego for just over $1,000. This was several years ago and it included a military discount, though. They got it there ahead of schedule as well.

One thing I remember well was that they had it in 4x4 low for the shipment and I didn't realize it until I started driving and the truck starting yelling at me. :oops:
I wonder if 4x4L was for loading it up a ramp or to keep the wheels locked while on the trailer.

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I wonder if 4x4L was for loading it up a ramp or to keep the wheels locked while on the trailer.
A lot of the car hauling trailers have tire pockets to allow the vehicle to sink into the trailer to allow headroom between the vehicle and the top deck and also for height clearance on the top deck.
The deep tire pockets, steel trailer ramps, combined with any inclement weather can make the decks slippery

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Express, 1994 F59 ISI 7.3l, 1999 GMC Savanna [soon 2b scrapped], 1999 C3500 [scrapped}
20 Posts
North central Florida. Not too far from I 75. I am always looking for a 6BT but I never have the funds when a good one crosses my path. I do have a spare 6.5. I got a running parts truck for $600. The engine has 200k on it, so I figured I would rebuild it one day. Hopefully before I need it.
I have a friend in FL I'd like to visit; COVID-19 aware and cautious, like me.

I just dropped the 4L80e from a donor bus, to go into the better one I'm planning on keeping, so I have an extra 6.5TDi. I don't know what they go for now. But I have access to an engine hoist.

Any interest?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just found out one of my previous posts was deleted because of a marketplace-type inclusion.

I'm only on this forum sporadically, though I read in detail the troubleshooting section. Since I didn't originally intend to sell anything, I skipped over the selling things section. Apologies.

Turns out I lost my 4L80e tranny in my '98 3500 Express. I then picked up a donor bus ('99 Savanna dually) with another 4L80e behind another 6.5.

I just finished dropping the bad tranny today. I'm going to finish dropping the good tranny tomorrow, and pull it over to the keeper bus - that's going to be my new motorhome. Then I have to scrap the donor bus. That's my dilemma of the week.

I'm learning a lot. Especially how useful a lift would be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts