Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I GOT A VA BOX THE GUY I GOT IT FROM TOLD ME IT WAS ONE OF THE FIRST ONES WITH THE HIGH PRESSURE BUT THE ONLY THING ON IT IS A SERIAL NUMBER AND A DATE OF MAN. 7/01 .......DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIND OUT EXCACTLY WHAT IT IS ....ILL BE PUTTING IT ON MY TRUCK TOMMOROW BUT I JUST GOT MY SECOND ATS TRANS INSTALLED SO ITLL BE A LITTLE FUNNY SHIFTING SO I PROBALLY WONT BE ABLE TO TELL MUCH ...ITS GOT 2 BIG PLUGS SIMILAR TO JUICE AND A PLUG THE THE MAP (I GUESS) AND ONE MORE ORANGE AND BLACK ONE THE GUY TOLD ME IT WAS TO AN OPTIONAL IN CAB SWITCH? CAN THIS BE REPROGRAMED TO A HIGHER HP MODE? I HAVE NO CLUES ON IT BUT I THOUGHT THE PRICE HE WAS ASKING WAS MORE THAN FAIR SO ANY INFO YOU GUYS HAVE WOULD BE GREAT!

THANKS KYLE

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Sounds like a VA Pressure Box, I have one as well.

A switch is aroud $50.00 - $60.00 dollars and comes in 2 or 3 positions.

Mine is a 3 position- off - 35hp - 70hp. as my box is a 70hp tune.

It dyno'd 50 RWHP and just over 100 ft/lb of RWTQ by itself.

Without a switch the default is full power. They can be re-programmed as well for other settings.

You may want to "LOOP" out the timing and just run the fuel pressure, I did on mine.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
as for tunning to a higher hp mode when i had mind the 70hp was the highest mode, they work great on the middle tune but i filled my crankcase up on the high tune pulling in the mountains,i think if you use common sense for pulling(do not keep it pined to long in a row) the high tune will work for pulling as well

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony what do you mean loop out the timing? can this be stacked ? the guy i got it from told me he heard a guy stacking it with juice ...any ideas ? sstacked with juice and quad? would it even work? so i can get this one raised up to the 230 tune or not?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
That is the Smart Box that does rail pressure. The Smart Box E is the new one that does pulse width.

The 230HP VA (Smart Box E) is not available for public release as far as I know.

One thing to bear in mind with pressure boxes is that the rail psi safety valve is not designed for multiple activations. In other words, if you pop it too many times it could begin to leak, making it difficult for the pump to attain desired pressure...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You have what sounds like the pressure box and it can be stacked with the juice, but from what I have heard it wont do much when stacked with the Stealth, not for sure, but this is what I have been told, that the stealth raises the rail pressure some. It would stack with a Big VA, which is what I have, you might talk to Quad if you want one of these, he might be able to get you one.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Kyle, what exactly did you have done to the tranny, a whole new one or what? Did you tear the other one up? Thanks

·
Banned
328 Posts
We can raise rail pressure high enough to make almost 100hp with that box.

On the Stealth the only reason the fuel pressure does not work as well as with other modules is because the ECM compensates for the added fuel with slightly more pressure. I am not actually raising pressure.

Quad

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had that first VA box. It worked great, and in tandem with a 4" exhaust and good air filter, I was able to out-run a Powerstroke with 4" exhaust, K&N filter kit, Superchip, edge box, and propane. It was my brother. Now he drives a Duramax.

Any way, when VA came out with their newer box (0, 75, 110hp) I upgraded and boy was that a big difference! Well, I spoke with the guys over at bully dog and they told me that they were taking the Edge Juice and the VA 75hp (2001-early 2002). Well now they said that they stacked both VA boxes, taking the timing out of the smaller hp box. So I did that, and it was amazing. I was showing off and I must have drove a couple hundred feet sideways with the tires turning fast!

When Bullydog came out with their new Power Pup Programmer, I replaced the smaller VA box with the programmer (Bullydog programmed it without the timing), and I programmed my truck to the 95hp setting. The Power Pup also allows to re-callibrate the speedo for different size tires. Superchips said theirs would not have this feature. Of course things change. Also, Bullydog informed me that they could reprogram my VA box to 220 if I wanted to run with their "Mr. Universe" truck (which pushes out more than 450hp).

With all these power mods, I would like to get something for my tranny. It's a great transmission, it just wants to slip a little here and there. I took it back to the dealer and they upgraded the "software" to the transmission (whatever that means). But I must admit, it does shift better.Edited by: MacGordon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quad with or without the timing would this run with any programs on the stealth and juice? mac said he was going to ask you when he talked to u next for me ....and im still curious on the water kit .....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm confused Max. Almost all the Duramax trucks that use the local dyno, or even other dyno's in the area, shut down around 450hp. The tranny always shuts down to 3rd.

I guess I'm asking 2 things:

1) Have you dyno'd your truck to produce 490hp?

2) If this is true, how come your truck will go beyond this 450hp peak that everyone elses Durmax I know, will not.

If you're getting close to 500hp, I want to know your secret, cause I want some of that hp action!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Buddy, You need to get rid of the bullydog stuff ans get a stealth. I had a stealth on mine with cpmac van aken box and injectors ans ats level 3 tranny, and I shut down the dyno at Scheid, it would not read any higher, and that was at 500+HP and 1000+TQ. So there a lot of Dmax's out there with 500 or more bet you their running a Stealth. It rocks.

·
Banned
328 Posts
SmokinMax said:
quad with or without the timing would this run with any programs on the stealth and juice? mac said he was going to ask you when he talked to u next for me ....and im still curious on the water kit .....

Well some like the way pressure runs on top of the tuner and others don't. We are working on releasing different software versions really soon. We are working on the new tunes so that they are even more stackable on the smaller settings. The bigger setting will use everything that is available. We are getting to the point that stacking makes no difference. I think in the very near future 500 rwhp will be obtained on a single tune. Don't hold me to it, but we are getting close. I am trying to get the new tunes released for Christmas!

I saw a message about a water kit. I am not sure what you want to know, but call me tomorrow and I will try to answer your questions.

Quad

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey Quad find the fix on the rpm's for 01's yet. Please stay in touch hope to see you around this year.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Kennedy said:
That is the Smart Box that does rail pressure. The Smart Box E is the new one that does pulse width.

The 230HP VA (Smart Box E) is not available for public release as far as I know.

John,

I ran that VA 230 box and so did Mackin at our CT Dyno DAY III..........

WE Could have bought it if either of us had wanted it.....I ran it Stacked with my VA pressure Box.Among other things

On a worn Allison it put down 417 HP/ 744 TQ all by itself, Mac was in the 450-460 HP range with the Suncoast.

Stacked with the VA pressure box it put down 430 HP/ 777 TQ. Again with my worn tranny.

We never ran them on the street, but I am sure we could if needed.

T
NY

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, my bad. I called Bullydog and got the real scoop on their "Mr. Universe" Duramax truck. They said that when they dyno'd their truck, their two best results were 545 and 549hp. Then this is where the tranny usually shuts down to third and they have to clear the DTC from the computer. Their Duramax has AFE stage 2, 4" exhaust kit, 220hp Van Aaken box, Bullydog power pup programmer set at 95 without timing, Propane, and nitrous. They run it along with their other truck "Crank it up," a 03 Dodge cummins. With less hp than the Dodge, the Duramax still outruns it.

As for getting rid of my Bullydog stuff, no thanks. I'm one of their distributors here in Idaho. Not everything they come out with is the best for the different diesel trucks. But as for reliability, they always got my back. Heck Edge products there for about a year couldn't even get their act together and get a decent software update that didn't kill the truck at times. I had one truck that whenever he turned on his wipers, the edge box shut his truck down. The new box in tandem with the attitude is a great comeback for them (in my eyes).

As for trannies, I would love to know a mod that will allow it to take more hp and not shut down to 3rd. I have had this problem a couple times racing. I luckily didn't have this problem when I raced my friend on his new Honda Shadow (with new exhaust, perf tuning, and jetted). In second gear I passed him like he was driving a 2 stroke scooter. I love my Duramax!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
MacGordon said:
As for trannies, I would love to know a mod that will allow it to take more hp and not shut down to 3rd. I have had this problem a couple times racing. I luckily didn't have this problem when I raced my friend on his new Honda Shadow (with new exhaust, perf tuning, and jetted). In second gear I passed him like he was driving a 2 stroke scooter. I love my Duramax!

Suncoast and ATS both have setups that will hold. If Edge's boxes are so bad then why are they #1 recommended by most anyone who owns one? As for your "race" I hope you don't think a Shadow is fast...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hey John

You trying to get a scooter race goin, shame on you for pickin on them ricer's

Geno

1 - 18 of 18 Posts