Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always used valvoline products, so I look in the owners manual and it says to look for CJ-4 or CI-4 oil ratings, but not both. I look at the valvoline premium blue 15w-40 and it has both. Even valvoline web page this is the oil for my truck.

What gives??? Should I use it, even though the owners manual says not to??

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i am on my 3rd oil change with premium blue and no problems yet. truck has only 8000miles on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It bothers me a little the manual (page 50) says not to use oil with both CJ-4 and CI-4 listed on the bottle. Even mentions engine damage may result and not covered by your warranty. The Valvoline Premium Blue has both ratings on it.

Am I being overly paranoid??

Thanks for any info

Rob

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I ran that stuff for years with my 04.5 LLY and never had a problem.

I just did my first oil change with it with my 07.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a year and 10K miles on mine and it seems just fine.
I also have used Valvoline products for over 20 yrs now and will trust their judgement on oil.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The way I understand it is, the CI-4 is compatible with 06 and prior models that do not have the particulate filter systems.
The CJ-4 must be used with 07 and later models that have the DPF systems.
The CJ-4 is compatible with all prior models and is acceptable for use in all models that used CI-4
Based on that, any CJ-4 oil would also be CJ-4 and CI-4 compatible.

The website of your oil manufacturer should have this info.

Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info. I trust Valvoline products, so Premium Blue it is.

What filters are you running??? ACDelco??? I usually use Boosch or Mobil 1 filters.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I run the Delco just because it is easy to get here. I plan on getting a Nictane to help and am also thinking of an oil bypass in the future to help keep things running clean as well

Phillip

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Where do you find your premium blue? I have checked auto zones advanced walmart and even local heavy truck shop, none of htem carry it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i just bought my premium blue at auto zone, thats weird you cant find it there.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My stepson works for Napa and since they carry Valvoline he can get it inspecial when I need it. We also have a Valvoline place like the Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey that carries it .

Phillip

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Called napa they dont stock it, will call me back to see if they can get it. Called another lee and autozone neither stock it.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
It doesnt suprise me I ant get it they cant look it up in their computer for my truck, and it has nothing to do w/a 6 inch exhaust tip that glows for a neon so they dont make it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Autozone has it, but it is off to the side of the main oil bins. Look for an area to the side with the big jugs of oil. Maybe I'm lucky, Memphis is the home of Coporate Autozone:)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I noticed last night at Wally world that the stock of Mobil Delvac 1300 was the CJ-4, of course the price went up around 70 cents a gallon from
$8.75 to $9.48.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts