Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would this be ok to run in my stock allison? I wouldn't really want to run it by choice, however we do have it in bulk at the shop.

thanks!

-Brian

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I found this on the internet, doesn't seem to re-assure me much though....

ATTACHED LETTER FROM TECHNICAL DIRECTOR:

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand

February 14, 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MaxLife ATF and its use in various vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III or MERCON approved products. In response to these questions, Valvoline has issued the following statements: Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON III and MERCON fluids including those in most North American and Asian manufactured vehicles and those applications listed below:

•Allison C-4 •Allison TranSynd (TES-295) •Audi G-052-025-A2 •BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids •Ford MERCON V •GM 9986195 •GM DEXRON II •Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) •Hyundai •JWS 3309 •KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids •MAN 339 Type F •MB Sheet 236.x •Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III •Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, and Matic-K •Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III or T-IV •Voith H55.6335.33 (G607) •Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363) •Volvo 1161521 and 1161540 •VW TL52162 •ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L and 17C

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF. Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLifeATF, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance. While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmission scan also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, and anti-shudder protection and many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance. MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110 and Ford6RXX (MERCON SP), the Toyota/Lexus 6-speed (Toyota WS), and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-Tronic) which all require a low viscosity ATF fluid. Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.

Sincerely,

Thom Smith
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
Valvoline, a division of Ashland Inc.

------

Let me point out something in that letter:

"Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF." ~Thomas R. Smith

·
Registered
179 Posts
You could use it in a 2005 or older Allison. 2006 and up need Dexron VI. It is a very high grade oil. Think of it as a full synthetic with an added highly friction modified additive package. Even the older Allisons can benefit from using it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The fluid will be fine in you '05 Allison. Normal service schedules should be observed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the helpful insight!!! I don't know what I would do without a place like this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.