Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading gmctd's article on WG control, I understand what GM was trying to do with the digital WG controller. This sparked some interest in me. I was wanting to add a way of engaging the WG solenoid to allow the turbo to spool up a little quicker during shifts (5spd). Well, after reading that the ECM controlls the solenoid through pulses, I was at a loss of how to hack into this. Well, today at work, I noticed something that might just work. Horton has a fan solenoid that controlls air pressure to the fan hubs on our Caterpillars. I was thinking I could just "T" into the vacuum line going to the WG and have a temporary push-button switch mounted on my gearshift to help spool the turbo a little sooner after each shift.

I understand that I can't run the WG shut without the de-fuel curse, but just wondering if I could do this as a temporary solution to the massive amounts of black smoke after each shift while waiting on the turbo spooling.

Maybe I'm just having a nasty brain fart, but just wondering if it was possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the replys. So your pretty much saying this won't work.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
might work might not. i'd be very leery of adding electrical current to anything that is connected to the ecm for the obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you have massive black smoke now between shifts are you sure your WG system is even working??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might work might not. i'd be very leery of adding electrical current to anything that is connected to the ecm for the obvious reasons.
Well, I'm not adding anything to alter the WG solenoid. I'm adding a seperate solenoid that will allow vacuum to bypass the factory solenoid temporarly just to "jump start" the turbo".

nickg said:
If you have massive black smoke now between shifts are you sure your WG system is even working??
I did test the Vacuum pump and it will pull 23", at the solenoid connected to the factory plastic hose, at idle and after turning off engine. So i determined that the pump and hose leading to it was good. I did however find a bad connector at the WG itself and the black plastic hose going from the WG to the solenoid leaking. I ran a vacuum hose and solved that leak. That seemed to help quite a bit in 2nd and 3rd gears, near instant response now. But in 4th and 5th gears, from a steady speed and nailing (100%) the throttle, it will smoke for a couple seconds before catching up. Its not very black smoke, but it is smoking.

I assume most of the 6.5TD's out there are auto and don't experience this problem, but between 4th and 5th gear shifts, it will lagg quite a bit. Maybe this is normal?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Even if you lock wired the wastegate shut as soon as you shift you loose boost,(try it you will see what I mean) it takes a second to build again (all related to exhaust gasses), so building a means of electrically keeping the gate closed wont work, an auto tranny shifts without dropping rpm or load, this is why the boost stays up.

I read your first post about Massive black smoke, so I stated I thought your WG system was not working.

BTW if you lock wire the WG keep on eye on max boost levels

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The smoking was much worse before I found the vacuum leaks the other night. Its better now, but still noticeable. Well, I see what your saying about the boost now. Didn't really occur to me that with less exhaust pressure, the turbo slows down even with WG closed. :( Hince advantage of auto for quicker accelerations. Oh well, truth hurts I guess. There just ain't much way to help the problem unless I shift quicker (Much quicker), ey?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The turbo doesn't just "turn off". The wastegate limits boost, it doesn't say "turbo, just hang out here until I need you the next time." Turbo is always spinning, always building pressure until the wastegate is opened due to excessive boost pressure.

The idea of bypassing the WG solenoid is a neat idea, but it will be serving the same function as OEM solenoid at the same time.

Know what I mean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts