Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I supposed to put oil in a new vacuum pump before installing it on the vehicle ? if yes, what kind of oil ?

Reason I am asking - I replaced the vacuum pump on my 95' Suburban 4x4 6.5L about 11 years ago. The vacuum pump since new has always been a little noisy, clacking and rattling sound, but always worked good until recently it's showing signs of needing to be replaced, low power and black smoke on take off. I ordered a new ( not rebuilt ) VP from Rockauto. Installed the new VP when it came in. Engine cranked right up, VP was super quiet and I had no more black smoke or low power. After driving it about 20 minutes, the new VP siezed. My son and his mechanic friend went out and put the old pump back on for me. Now the old pump is super quiet. My son said his mechanic friend put oil ( motor oil ) in the vacuum pump. Im not sure how he got oil in it unless there is a fill plug that I am unaware of, but it is as quiet now as the one I just bought. It is still showing signs of not working up to par as my low power and black smoke on take off have returned since putting it back on. Any way Rock Auto is sending me a replacement VP. Should I "Check the oil" in it and top it off before installing ? How ? What Kind of oil ? Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
When the vac pump is removed from the pulley assembly there is a cam and there should be oil in there.
I do not think there should be any oil in the actual pump.

Reactions: grep

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So did i just get a bad pump from RA? Maybe the cam is where they put the oil, ill ask when i see him.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
A while back, I read that there is almost no VP that has the same quality as the stock VP.
Not trying to advocate for TurboMaster (because a lot of people here hate it) but that is the decision that I made to eliminate this problem.
Never have to worry about it for 13 years and counting.

Start the flame!!!

Reactions: grep

·
Registered
73 Posts
Am I supposed to put oil in a new vacuum pump before installing it on the vehicle ? if yes, what kind of oil ?
Yes, there should definitely be oil in the cam housing section of the vacuum pump before it is installed on your vehicle.

Yes, you should check it before installation, as I have done several of these pumps over the last decade and the replacements come with varying amounts of oil - from 'almost full' to 'virtually empty'

Engine oil is sufficient, and I think there should be about 30cc's of oil in there from memory, but don't quote me on that. Basically you want that housing just over half full, so that there's plenty of oil for the bearings and cam, but also enough room so that once it gets hot it doesn't expand too much and force oil out past the seals, but rather just slightly compresses the air space in the housing.

The vacuum pump is a frequent source of trouble with these vehicles, but it's pretty straight forward to replace. I can have the job done in less than an hour these days.

Cheers,... Jon.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: grep and JMJNet

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you pour the oil in ? ( sorry i don't have one handy )

·
Administrator
16,296 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts