Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would crack each injector line whiles it's running and listen for any change in idle.
This will tell you how many cylinders are affected.

I would also start thinking about how cheap and quickly I could get it fixed.
I would go with trying to score a running engine off farcebook marketplace or Craigslist.
It sucks, no doubt.
These are cake to swap.
I have already started cost to rebuild vs getting a drop in has been a thought i know some guys that might have a few just dont have money at the moment might need to find a beater with a heater for the time being

·
Administrator
17,724 Posts
I have already started cost to rebuild vs getting a drop in has been a thought i know some guys that might have a few just dont have money at the moment might need to find a beater with a heater for the time being
I'd add some Lucas Oil additive and just drive it instead of finding a beater.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
That's why I always had spare everything 😄

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Aright So right around 20/23 seconds it does that surge i mentioned.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Oh yeah, she's F'd. That's classic cracked piston behavior. I'd know that blow by and engine cadence anywhere! It doesn't look as bad as my last cracked piston, but she's coming apart. You can see a video of what mine sounded like here. Sorry for the bad news!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh yeah, she's F'd. That's classic cracked piston behavior. I'd know that blow by and engine cadence anywhere! It doesn't look as bad as my last cracked piston, but she's coming apart. You can see a video of what mine sounded like here. Sorry for the bad news!

Oh its pretty much what ill have to figure out. Sucks but ill probably drive it for however long it holds for and search for a engine. Not really sure dont have many other options.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Not sure I'd be driving it. Good way to pork it harder than it is now. But in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. Id be finding a few hundred dollar engine real quick!

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
322 Posts
Heres a link to the video since i cant upload it to the website. The intake hat has oil on top of it. Part of me thinks its a bad cdr but im not really sure I dont have the money at the moment to buy the tubing to test it.
http://instagr.am/p/CJfXZtrl-5x/
That is bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would still do a compression check, to check for a bad piston like Bob mentioned. It's the easiest and cheapest test to eliminate that scenario. Good luck, and don't throw in the towel yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I managed to score a $300 running 6.2 im going to swap out then i can tear into this one and redo it properly my mamma didnt raise no quitter and im not planning on getting rid of this one lol

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would still do a comp. test. Wouldn't you be a tad bit ticked, if you pulled the motor apart, only to find the bottom end was fine, and it was a systems problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I would still do a comp. test. Wouldn't you be a tad bit ticked, if you pulled the motor apart, only to find the bottom end was fine, and it was a systems problem?
that was 2000rpm max and thats definitely not a diesel knock

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
I managed to score a $300 running 6.2 im going to swap out then i can tear into this one and redo it properly my mamma didnt raise no quitter and im not planning on getting rid of this one lol
Nice !! Is it complete with injection pump ?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
Yes sir the guy pulled it to swap a ls in. Bolt my turbo up and go
And this is how the spare parts collection starts growing. (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And this is how the spare parts collection starts growing. (y)
Oh i got spare parts in my shed just not 6.2 or squarebody parts lmao i got a bunch of datsun crap laying around and some jeep crap as well

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Oh i got spare parts in my shed just not 6.2 or squarebody parts lmao i got a bunch of datsun crap laying around and some jeep crap as well
Datsun and Jeep you say?!? You have my attention now!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Datsun and Jeep you say?!? You have my attention now!
Yep when i got my license my father gave me a 81 datsun 720 4x4 then my stepfather gave me a 1982 k10 shortwide 6.2 diesel. Sold the 6.2 ran the datsun for years picked up a 2wd one as well then a couple hardbodys now ive got my 2 datsuns a gmc yukon my 85 k20 6.2 and my wifes 93 jeep cherokee. It all started my car and wrenching addiction. Got my new to me 6.2 stabbed in hopefully tommrow i can fire it off. Gotta turn the injection pump up since it was a NA motor.

Attachments

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
Gettin ur done, nice progress. (y)
Post up the tear down of the other engine when you get around to it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts