Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking... Would it be at all possiable to convert the vacuum pump into a water pump for guys wanting to run a WTA intercooler? I'm not totally fimilar of the internal workings of the unit, all I know is it's already a fluid pump (air can be considered a fluid) My question is, can it pump water instead of air, and will it move enough? Or am I compairing apples to french fries?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Probably wouldnt do enough volume, but I bet you could mount a small water pump there.

But that begs the question of WHY? Just get an electric pump and be done with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
and you would couse a little power drain id think ? might not be noticeable ?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
electric pump should pull less total power than a belt driven mechanical pump parasitic load would be IMO, electric motor more efficient than a mechanical pump, plus mechanical pump belt driven would have varied flow with engine rpm vs constant speed of an electric, mech pump possibly depending on one used would require some regulation routine to maintain flow, an electric could be sized/optimized to flow/pressure required to maintain desired level of cooling

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I agree about getting an electric pump, and being done with, I just asked for the what if sake. I got my answer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you convert the vac pump for water, and the diaphram ever leaks, you will contaminate the engine oil with water.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't see how that's possible. Our vac pump had no way to contaminate the oil in any way shape, or form.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts